Mustangmania.....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

How do I deal with this bugger.....it do not want to settle! :lol:

DSCF0001-97.jpg

Cut it along one side of the fairing, then put some more decal solution on it. It should settle then without problem.
Where you been anyway? Haven't seen you around old chap.

I say old boy, thanks awfully! Been a bit of a turmoil here old chap...have got feck all done! :oops: Hopefully it has all come to an end now.... Desperately need my three week holiday in Sweden! :lol:

perhaps a stupid question, but did you try microsol?? It's a softner solution..

I scrolled through your topic like hell looking for pics., so i don't know if u use this stuff... But it'll sure help. otherwise another brand of this solution..

(edit) i see you use microsol. So perhaps try another brand.. Maybe that will work. (/edit)

Aaron

Last edited:
I just started using CHAMP as of a couple of months ago, and I really like the results it gives. So I have all three.... MicroSol, SolvaSet, and CHAMP. The CHAMP is the howitzer of them all. :lol:

I only use Micro Sol, not bothering with the 'Set', as I have a feeling they are more or less the same thing anyway. I rarely have a problem getting decals to settle, and have found if the 'Sol' won't do it, probably nothing will, short of surgery on the decal. This only happens, on rare occassions, with thick decals, over tight projections, like the hinge fairing on Jan's Mustang.

That's the whole key..... ya gotta be patient with the bugger decals and the 'Sol. BTW, Terry, CHAMP will do to thick decals what MicroSol and SolvaSet will do with the normal ones.... it just takes a little longer. And you can't touch the decal for a good three to five hours after applying the Sol.

Great Job Jan! I am actually getting ready to build the 506th KWITCHERBITCHIN mustang as it was my Grandfathers plane (Alan J Kinvig). I really hope I can do the some of the justice you have done with these two mustangs. It looks like you use air brushing for your painting. Is this true? Any obvious tips for painting? Its been about 15 years since my last model. Keep up the amazing work!

Hi Yothies and welcome to the fold. You might not get an immediate response from Jan as, all being well, he was due to fly to Sweden today, after a week's delay due to the Icelandic volcano playing silly b*ggers with European airspace. But yes, Jan used an airbrush. I posted a guide to Brush painting which is in the modelling painting section, and on Page 6 there is also a guide to a way of obtaining a bare metal finish - both of these might be helpful.
Cheers,
Terry.

Thank you Terry! Thank you very much for the advice and the welcome! I look forward to reading up on that. :) I am finding that there is a lot to consider before I start to build this. At the recommendation of the hobby shop owner, I purchased a Tamya 8th AF kit but the cockpit does not look like it has the detail as the one Jan is building. I think I will have to look for a different kit or build two Models which would probably be good to get the rust out. I am really enjoying looking through all of the posts here.

Thanks!

Scott

Hi and welcome the to family Scott and thank you kindly for your kind words! Terry is indeed correct (no surprise there, eh? :lol:), I used an airbrush, an Iwata something, something....:oops: Eclipse! These two are Hasegawa and you get decals for the instruments which I tend to use with Micro Sol and Set with great results most of the time. Was going to bring another two Mustangs (same make) back with me to Glasgow, but they're stored away and I can't get to them :(
Might later bring another couple of colourful fullbloods out later, but, as they'll most likely agree on here, I have a few other birds to finish first....:oops:

Loking forward to see your work on KWITCHERBITCHIN.....

I say old boy; the "few other birds" you're going to finish first - are they perchance Swedish, and blonde? Oh! Or did you mean when you get back from across the North Sea and Kattegat......

Working a bit on the 'Stangs at the same time as my 'what if' Thunderbolt and I have to say that I do NOT like the way Hasegawa has made the props.... :( D*mn difficult to get it to look right! :lol:

Funny, virtually every 1/48th Mustang kit I've built (probably around 30, of different brands) always seem to have a problem getting an accurate match for the spinner and back plate. It's a b*gg*r !! Best one so far has been the ICM kit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back