My collection of the instrument panels

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Can you post a picture?
For sure:

6A-838-b-scaled.jpg
6A-838-a-scaled.jpg

I think they are cast iron. The width of the square edge is 1.5 inches.

Gary, there is a place in the California desert I have visited that has a couple of B-29s in pieces that have been used in film making. They also have a few B-25s in various stages of parts. It is located near Ocotillo Wells Airport just east of Borrego Springs. It is in a fenced compound that is somewhat isolated from Highway 78. We flew in our Cessna 180 on big tires and landed next to the compound. I don't know who owns all the stuff in there (maybe a guy by the name of (Rood), but there are trailers full of parts and instruments, four B-29 wings, two B-29 fuseleges, many B-25 wings and fuseleges. We had met the compound caretaker at a nearby restrument we used to fly to for breakfast, and he invited us over to see the stuff. This was ten years ago, but we flew over it last winter and it was all there still. I am in the vicinity from late October until mid May.

Gary, there is a place in the California desert I have visited that has a couple of B-29s in pieces that have been used in film making. They also have a few B-25s in various stages of parts. It is located near Ocotillo Wells Airport just east of Borrego Springs. It is in a fenced compound that is somewhat isolated from Highway 78. We flew in our Cessna 180 on big tires and landed next to the compound. I don't know who owns all the stuff in there (maybe a guy by the name of (Rood), but there are trailers full of parts and instruments, four B-29 wings, two B-29 fuseleges, many B-25 wings and fuseleges. We had met the compound caretaker at a nearby restrument we used to fly to for breakfast, and he invited us over to see the stuff. This was ten years ago, but we flew over it last winter and it was all there still. I am in the vicinity from late October until mid May.
Yes, that is a fairly well known hoard of parts. I have never been able to track down the owner of the parts to try and buy some of them.

Most of it came from China Lake I believe, but haven't been able to confirm.

I searched through all of my bins and didn't find any I am afraid. Looking at the picture you posted, making it shouldn't be too difficult. Do you have access to someone who can fabricate them?
Thanks for looking Gary. These parts are indeed rare. The few examples that appeared on Aerovintage Spares 3 weeks ago are now gone.

The original parts are castings but, as you say, substitutes could be fabricated out of steel sheet and round bar. That's Plan B though as we'd like to have authentic parts in our restoration. I know where there are some originals, though not for trade/sale.

Thanks for looking Gary. These parts are indeed rare. The few examples that appeared on Aerovintage Spares 3 weeks ago are now gone.

The original parts are castings but, as you say, substitutes could be fabricated out of steel sheet and round bar. That's Plan B though as we'd like to have authentic parts in our restoration. I know where there are some originals, though not for trade/sale.
I fully understand your desire for originality. The fabricated parts would merely be place holders till the real ones could be found.

I fully understand your desire for originality. The fabricated parts would merely be place holders till the real ones could be found.

There's time. The BFP can be left out for a few more years and I will keep looking. What's really disappointing is that one of our pictures taken during the cataloguing process shows that one of these, along with the spring, was actually attached to our panel at one time. However, when I retrieved the panel, the mount assembly was gone.

RDB_4402 Spring Mount.JPG

There's time. The BFP can be left out for a few more years and I will keep looking. What's really disappointing is that one of our pictures taken during the cataloguing process shows that one of these, along with the spring, was actually attached to our panel at one time. However, when I retrieved the panel, the mount assembly was gone.

View attachment 727116
That truly sucks. Someone removed it to make it easier to store no doubt.

Here is the first step in putting the B-17 back together. First panel is fitted, working on the center section now. Obviously, they have to be perfect so it is measure 8 bazillion times, drill once! Once these are fitted I am going to make sheet aluminum panels for the back, to give them some more support.

Attachments

• 1st panel.JPG
    1st panel.JPG
    201.2 KB · Views: 14
  • FITTING.JPG
    FITTING.JPG
    2.7 MB · Views: 12
Got the right side panel fitted. I decided to do the two outer panels first, the center will be positioned more accurately that way. I have decided to restore with the original panels exposed. I will however, fabricate thin aluminum panels for the rears of all three, and I am still deciding on a thin strip, or individual reinforcing washers for the front of the panels.

I also pictured one of the many files I use to ensure the accurate positioning of the mounting holes.

Attachments

• file work.JPG
    file work.JPG
    62.3 KB · Views: 13
  • TWO PANELS FITTED.JPG
    TWO PANELS FITTED.JPG
    2.4 MB · Views: 11
  • RIGHT.JPG
    RIGHT.JPG
    2.3 MB · Views: 13

Users who are viewing this thread

Back