My favourite sound...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Amerlin with an over-primed engine prior to start up...one excess fuel is cleared from cylinders, and rpm pushed up, the merlin smooths out...the greatest thing isd they roll this plane out about 4 times a year and start the engine, and being allowed to stand behind or 20 feet away gives one the awe of a Packard Merlin engine

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUblhXExbuU

also was a nice dedication to all US servicemen serving in the RCAF bomber command
Nanton Lancaster Society - Current Newsletter

bf109 Emil...

Amerlin with an over-primed engine prior to start up...one excess fuel is cleared from cylinders, and rpm pushed up, the merlin smooths out...the greatest thing isd they roll this plane out about 4 times a year and start the engine, and being allowed to stand behind or 20 feet away gives one the awe of a Packard Merlin engine

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XUblhXExbuU

also was a nice dedication to all US servicemen serving in the RCAF bomber command
Nanton Lancaster Society - Current Newsletter

bf109 Emil...
It's getting hard to get parts for the Merlin , interesting about the Battle project wonder how that got away fom the CWH

I grew up behind radials, mostly Wrights, and was gonna say that my favorite sound is whatever propels my airplane at the moment.
However...
IMO there's no sweeter sound than two Allisons really packing the mail in a Lockheed airframe. Wow.
But fetching far back...
Our NE Oregon ranch was on the low-level route between Spokane (Fairchild AFB) and Mountain Home, Idaho. The sight, sound, and FEEL of those six hewge engines pushing a B-36 through the atmosphere has remained with me since childhood. Creak.

Growing up in East Central Wisconsin in the early 1960's, I was serenaded to the sound of North Central Airline's DC-3s as they flew from Milwaukee to Green Bay at 7:45 am and Green Bay to Milwaukee at 6 PM. To this day, about 60 years latter, I can still pick out the distinctive sound of an airborne DC-3.

Eagledad

In the summer of 1989 I was attending an imagery analysis course at RAF Wyton, then home of the Canberra. It was a hot, sunny day so we had the windows open.

We heard a clear, very distinctive, but yet distant, sound, and about three of us yelled "That's a Mosquito!", at which point all the male members of class headed straight for the windows just in time to see the late lamented Hawarden-based Mosquito T.3 hove into view at low level, proceeding with reasonable alacrity along the main runway.

One of the two Wren officers on our course proclaimed, rather too loudly, "What's so special about a Mosquito?" We never let her live that down.

And, just ' cos, here's that amazing sound:

de havilland mosquito t3 sound - Google Search

Last edited:
My favorite sound is the opening chords for ELO's "Do Ya", it's what made me want to take up guitar.

For airplanes, it's the Wright 2600s of a B-25. In Ventura County we had two CAF -25s based at or visiting their Camarillo shop, and they'd do what I assumed were test- or pilot-qual-flights maybe six or eight times a year.

You could feel the throbbing in your gut long before picking out the airplane visually.

Last edited:
As a teen in the 1950s when I heard and felt the B-36 at altitude, a stop of activity was required until it could be spotted. The same sound and feeling often revealed a C-124 at altitude. The best I can do today is try to see the C-130 overhead.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back