Your favourite open cockpit monoplane fighter?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Admiral Beez

Captain
Oct 21, 2019
Toronto, Canada
My pick? Polikarpov I-16. Though it must have been freezing cold in the Russian winter.

TA_Aeropedia-The-Encyclopedia-of-Aircraft-1170x570.jpg

I love the low wing radial engined monoplanes of the inter-war period but the open cockpit requirement makes it tough. The P-26 and A5M come to mind immediately and they were actual service models. I guess my favorite is the P-26. It is what I thought of without looking up arcane or prototype only designs

Oddly, the G50 and C200 were intended to be closed cockpit with a sliding canopy (both were somewhat similar to the A6M Zero's arrangement, both even featuring near 360 degree visibility), but they went to the open/semi-enclosed cockpit as most pilots didn't initially like the fully enclosed sliding canopies. The C202/205 and G55 got slide hinged canopies when they got built.

Also, the MiG-1 prototype was flown with an open cockpit because test pilots hated the side hinged canopy, before a sliding canopy was installed and standardized on the production MiG-1s and the MiG-3.

What was the reasoning for that?
Can't put the second cockpit aft of the pilot's seat, given that design. I think they needed someone to take some instrumentation readings and added that forward seat for that purpose. After that, I guess they used it as a way just to give people rides and thus support their lucrative "I Rode in a Jet!" T-shirt sales.

Personally, I've done some open cockpit flying and even sometimes fly my Ercoupe with the pilot's side window down, (cute blonde girl pilot who was riding with me said, "That is so cool!") but you would not get me in that P-59 for $1000.

Can't put the second cockpit aft of the pilot's seat, given that design. I think they needed someone to take some instrumentation readings and added that forward seat for that purpose. After that, I guess they used it as a way just to give people rides and thus support their lucrative "I Rode in a Jet!" T-shirt sales.

Personally, I've done some open cockpit flying and even sometimes fly my Ercoupe with the pilot's side window down, (cute blonde girl pilot who was riding with me said, "That is so cool!") but you would not get me in that P-59 for $1000.
The bidding starts at one thousand. Do I hear two thousand?

Can't put the second cockpit aft of the pilot's seat, given that design.
But you can here. You reminded me of the twin seat, open canopy Hawker Hurricane the Soviet's bodged together.

full.jpg

There can't be many other open cockpit, single engine, twin-seater monoplane fighters in WW2 service. The Russian Hurricane reminds me of the WW1 Taube.

ne-fires-on-a-ww1-german-taube-fighter-1914-DD73K2.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back