NARA holdings online ...

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

chicoartist

Airman 1st Class
FYI:

I was tipped off by a friend that the US National Archives has teamed with Footnote.com (http://www.footnote.com/), to present zillions of NARA documents (military, civilian, political, etc., etc.) and photographs online ... they are all scanned at high-rez.

You can sign up for a 7-day FREE trial, and past that it's $8/month or $60/year. After seeing what they had, I signed up for a year ...

I've been 'virtually' lost in their stacks for a few days now. Here's just a couple of things I dug up, for example ... these have been greatly reduced in size for this post (all photos include good captions with dates, etc.):

This first photo was highly interesting to me because it's dated 21 June 44 -- just before Hofer climbed aboard P-51B QP-X for what would be his last takeoff from Debden. This would also be the last photo taken of Hofer that we know about. He was going along as a spare on the first 8th AF OPERATION FRANTIC Russia Shuttle mission, but true to form he didn't turn back and followed the task force to Russia. Troy White's excellent book on Hofer details for the first time what followed on a later mission during the Shuttle operation ... on 2 July, during the Budapest mission flown from Foggia, Italy, while returning to Foggia Hofer perished over the twin airfields at Mostar, Yugoslavia, crashing into the gun emplacement that shot him down!
Hofer_21_June_44.gif

A P-38 I came across ...
P38_88s73.gif

Many MACRs are currently available ... they'll eventually have them all online. Here's a couple of pages from Ralph K. Hofer's file:
Page18_Hofer_700.gif

Page17_Hofer_700.gif

Wade

take it from me only by purchasing the longer range 60.00 a year can you access the macr's, the free 7 days is almost worthless

just a tip

take it from me only by purchasing the longer range 60.00 a year can you access the macr's, the free 7 days is almost worthless

just a tip

I agree. Best $59.95 I ever spent but I bet I looked at 80% of the 355th FG Macrs (150+) in the 'free 7 days'.

I wish all of the J reports had been attached, particularly pre 1944 and post Feb 1945.

So many German records lost

Users who are viewing this thread

Back