Navy To Use Franklin, Va. Airport For Training (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I hope they're the exception rather than the average, only embracing the military when its convenient or popular, or they feel threatened. One of the nice things about the Dallas/FtWorth area (and Austin, as well), everybody here respects their military members/veterans, whether active, retired, or reserve.

Other than that, I pretty much hate Texas. :lol:

New info on the Navy's use of Franklin Airport for training. The Supervisors of Isle of Wight County requested an injunction banning the Navy from using the Franklin airport until an environmental impact study could be completed (which they want to the Navy to pay for). A federal judge refused to issue the injunction !! The Supervisors will now appeal to the state Supreme Court. The Navy has started training flights, but only on reciprocating engined aircraft, and only during daylight hours.

Charles

Same mindset that would stop the construction of a hospital or school because of a threat to the habitat of a rodent.
I remember the stink raised over the pipeline in Alaska a few years back. They were worried about the Carabo's migration patterns, turned out that the Carabo just walked around the supports!

One of my spies, that lives in Franklin, VA, tells me she sees "Willy Fudds" flying around Franklin all the time. She use to live at the beach, and remembers the S2 Tracker, so anything with a ra-dome on top is a WF. She's probably seeing the E1-B and the E2-C. I havn't heard otherwise, so I guess the U.S. Navy is alive and well at Franklin's Airport, in Franklin, VA.

Charles

Heard on the news, today, the U.S. Navy had their first "emergency" landing at Franklin Airport, in Franklin, VA. An E2C had a nose gear collapse during a normal landing. No one injured, just lotsa sparks and a damaged nose. NAS Oceana is investigating, and will decide whether to repair the aircraft to a flyable condition, or fold the wings and tow it back to NAS Norfolk.

More as I find out more...

Charles

See my previous post (#26). The U.S.Navy has decided they can make repairs on site to enable to plane to fly to NAS Norfolk, where it will be repaired properly. As it's less that 50 air miles, it's not that big a deal. The newspaper says the flight will be gear down, all the way.

Charles

It seems the good citizens of Franklin have succeeded in booting the Navy out of Franklin Airport. They got Republican Sen. Scott Rigel to present a bill in Va.'s General Assembly to prohibit the Navy from using Franklin Airport on the grounds it was unsafe for the citizens. On Monday the 28th of Jan. the Navy will start using the Coast Guard runways at Craney Island. What a crock !!

Charles

Can't imagine why anybody would turn down an opportunity like this (other than a little extra air traffic noise)....especially can't see them scrambling to create laws that would block the Navy, and threatening to frikkin SUE the Navy??? That's just frikkin ignorant (most polite word I could come up with on a family-friendly site)!!!! :evil:

(ps: I'm not a Mod, but I modded your photo, CC. Gotta do something right today!!!)

Thanks..... Charles

Our Gliding club had simlar issues, I mean Gliders. In the end we could only use air tugs for three days a year so we could stay current. During the war it was a USAAF fighter base and when we opened a small memorial in the new hanger the USAAF sent an honour guard to assist. Part of the day was a visit from a P51 which landed.
You will have guessed the next bit, the complaints that came in because it wasn't one of the three days you wouldn't believe.

I should add that when the new hanger about 13 years ago, Prince Phillip cut the ribbon. Local protesters were on hand to complain about the noise. He knew thew were coming and before anyone said anything he motioned everyone to just hush. Then commented that wasn't it nice to hear the skylarks in the grass and asked the rep from the protest what was it they wanted to say. They mentioned the noise pollution and he pointed out that the gliders were flying and all he could hear were the Skylarks. End of Protest.

Finally its worth mentioning that the club in miles from the nearest town and in the middle of a large farm.

I grew up on the approach end of Sherman field at Pensacola NAS. SNJs, T-28s, T-34s, F9Fs, T2A/Bs, Blue Angels, and a multitude of transient aircraft roared overhead. I used to run scared into my house every time an SNJ flew overhead. It was just part of living in America to me. I grew up loving planes and cars (my brother had a 57 Chevy). Ended up flying AF??? I think there are a lot of places that would love having more Navy training (except some young guys, like me, who always had to compete with all those Navy flyboys for the local girls). Take the training somewhere where it is wanted!

I need to make a correction to my previous post, about the Navy using the runways at Wallop's Island. I previously stated that the runways belonged to the USCG. They do not ! The runways are part of the NASA's Wallops Flight Facility on the Eastern Shore of Virginia. I regret the error.

Charles

Users who are viewing this thread

Back