Need help finding some info (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Justin,
I'll email you Sunday and we can exchange information....we show cars on the weekend so we are busy....unless it rains....which it might. In any event I'll gather up what I have and send it to you....it needs someone more motivated than I am right now to do the digging....you might be the one!? I want to keep as much as the 'public' back and fourth in this thread so others can see what/how is going on....it's interesting. I'll be contacting you by Sunday.
chuck

Hey, '44, sounds good! Ill be watching my mail. I am extremely excited to start diggin into the microfilm. I have been hoping for something like this to come my way. So, yes, I am VERY motivated. lol. I think it will be so neat to look into the past and dig up new information that I, or any of you may not have known. I hope that somehow, somewhere in this film I may discover information on my grandfather, and just what kind of missions he flew. And maybe even some pictures of his aircraft. As far as I know, he never had any photos of his aircraft. Well, at least his 47, anyway. Again, I thank you very much for this opportunity. It really means a lot to me! If there is anything that you would like me to look for, or keep an eye out for, while digging through them, please let me know! And that goes for anybody on here! Id be glad to help.

Jester63

If you guys get a location at Dover and any more info, I could probably go down and get some pics for you '44 (if they allow me!). I'm only about an hour away from Dover. Get me some more info and we'll see!

Also you guys can send PMs (Private Messages) to each other through your Profile pages. This way it keeps private stuff private! :)

Hi Justin,

I have the material ready to ship. I'll be sending it priority USPS.

I am including 4 microfilms and the only book I can find from my stuff that I didn't ebay. It's a book called Pacific Sweep published in Australia....I'm not sure of the date, I think it was censored out because it might have just been after the war. Not sure about that....anyway it's in rough shape but I included the whole thing.....you might be able to get some info from it. I am in the process of major downsizing my personal life so if I come across anything else I'll drop you a line.

Keep the microfilms as long as you need them....I'm in no hurry to get them back. Depending on what you find, others might like to see them too....we'll see how it unfolds.

Send me your address and I'll put these in the mail tomorrow.

Chuck Shotwell
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
VA

Here are some pics I took today of two models I kept....my Dad's a/c and a Jug from the 40th. I also had a 102, A-7D, F-86D tha I had in 40th markings....they went to CAP in Richmond.
Jug.JPG
mustang.JPG

Thanks, Chuck, much appreciated! I look forward to receiving them! I will be sure to keep you all updated on my findings.

Nice planes, Chuck! Do you happen to remember how you painted the curvy red cowling on the P-47? Asking anyone, is there an easy way to get a nice even all over shape to it? And whats the best way to paint the cowling? Red first, then O.D., or O.D. then Red? and I know the Red was outlined in white. How do you make a nice even outline around the red? Any help would be appreciated!

Justin

I would paint the OD first then tape and paint the cowling. This way if you weather it, you will have the base color underneath just like the real thing. Red is a little easier than that white tail - you may need several coats to get the proper white shade over that green.

For the cowling, I would use a masking tape, cut out to the design I want and placed where I need it.

I shot the red and white first. I used only Floquil RR paint, not Polly S. Masked whole cowl and drew design on the tape in pencil, then cut it with a #11 xacto. I use the scotch opaque tape, 3/4 wide. The pencil design on the tape first, allowed me to balance it and make the arcs the same. I also maksed the canopy. The OD was last....then I shot a SG clear over everything after I unmasked the painted areas but before I unmasked the canopy. It was a long time ago but I think that's how I did it. The same for the 51....the silver was the last because the tape would lift some of the silver but I didn't shoot SG clear over the whole plane. I built 5 foot models....and didn't weather them....it's the way I liked to build and since I was building for my satisfaction....that's the way I did it. The outlining would have to be done with a 0000000000 hand brush or sharpie or who knows what....just like the name on the 51 that is not there....I don't have the skill to do that so I omited it. My IPMS # is 1325 so I have seen and tried many things, some worked some didn't.... Do it however you want....enjoy building them....enjoy the finished product....that's what it is all about.

Thanks guys for the suggestions! Ill give it a try. I tried it before on a 1/72 P-47. I took a round paint bottle that was about the right size arc, and traced a quarter of the circle onto some masking tape. It seemed to do the trick and make a perfect arcs. I just was curious if there was some super simple way of doing it. Were those kits you made, Chuck, 1/72, or 1/48? It's to bad you didn't have your own decal maker. You could have just printed out the names for your dads plane. Still, though, very nice builds, Chuck! I have started making out decals for my grandfathers planes, and his buddy Tony Faikus' planes. That's why I am really wanting to figure out what his numbers were, so I can get them made.

As far as the 51 losing paint when masking tape is applied, could I spray the silver then apply a coat or two of clear coat before the red and black to seal it? Or would that make the final paint job look weird? I recently got a airbrush, so I am somewhat new to all this Future, clear, flat, and gloss coats on your kits with the regular color coats of paint.

Justin,
All I built was 1/72....and the last group I did was early 90's I think, I built 8 F-105's. There are a lot of paints and processes that have come available since the 90's....I don't know what people now use for silver. As I said, all I used was Floquil Railroad paints....they sold a "mixing" chart in the 70's and along with my FS 595 I mixed most of my colors....the silver was a bear. I think I used Floquil Old Silver and reduced it with MEK to get the silver I wanted. I never cleared it because it looked "weird" that way. I started coating with a Semi Gloss clear sometime in the 80's I think. I would use Floquil glaze and reduce it with something....not MEK but something else....maybe Diasol? I also used MEK for my glue....learned that from a company model maker at Revell in the 60's (I lived in SoCal then). I started with a Binks Wren air brush then tried a pachea then a smaller double action....but I always went back to the Binks....I like the way it felt and handled. The double action could shoot a finer pattern....especially with Floquil paint but I just felt more comfortable with the Binks. I tried to 'make' decals without much success. Some of the large (8 1/2 x 11) decal sheets from HisAirDec had blank spaces that we would use for the decal base and paint on it then process the decal to the a/c. Very tedious and not very pleasing results.

I don't know if this is an acceptable place to post more images?

Do they still have IPMS national meetings/gatherings?

hi jester63, i just got onto this site and im looking for any stuff related to the fighting red devils squadron of p 39s. my grandfather was a mechanic with that squadron so im just trying to get as much info and memoribilia i can find. hope to talk to u soon.....thx 4 ur time

Yes, chuck, I received it on friday, in good condition. Woohoo!! Sorry, I forgot to write you and let you know. I had a busy weekend....... Anyways, I haven't got to look at them yet, but plan to in the next couple days. The only thing is I noticed on the boxes they came in, that on the outside, it says the earliest film is from May of '44. That may be too late.. I hope not. Maybe the dates are a little off. Even still, it will be nice to see all the pics and data from them! Thanks again, sooo much, and i will be updating you all soon!

@Bearcat Buff- I would be glad to help! Let me know his name, and the dates that he served, and any specific info you would like to know, and I will see what I can find!

hi jester63....sorry i didnt get back with u right away.. my grandfathers name was joseph cecil patterson, im trying to get more accurate dates of his service but i do know he was in australia as a mechanic on p39's and thunderbolts. ive been searching the internet constantly for squadron patches and anything related to that squadron but there isnt much out there. i did find one site that could make the patch but im really looking for original stuff. if u have any ideas please feel free to email me at [email protected].......... thx so much 4 ur time

Ok, guys, quick update! I FINALLY got to start checking those reels of film out. At first I was discouraged because I wasn't finding anything, but I kept digging. Sure enoug, I came across a small report of my grandfathers crash. Further searching helped me come across what I had REALLY been hoping to find! Data from his missions!!!! Not sure how far back it will let me go, but I found 4 missions that he flew a few days prior to his crash. With that data also came info on who he was flying with, and what his plane number was to fly that day! I quickly scrolled back to see how many I could find, but ran out of time, as it was closing time. From the looks of it though, I may be able to backtrack to EVERY mission he flew!! There were not really any pictures, at least of his squadrons planes or him, but there are some close-up shots of the higher ranked pilots in their cockpits! This reseasrch also gave me a very detailed report of where the squadron was based and exact dates of when they were based there.

Since I know what number plane he flew for different missions, is there anyways to find a serial number for those planes? Or would the squadron number and serial number not be linked together in any way?

I will be updating you with more info, and hopefully some scans VERY SOON! I am just soooo thrilled to find this info!!!

So, anybody know if I can find a serial number from the fuselage squadron number? Or would they not be linked at all? Any help is appreciated!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back