Need help identifying this aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

BobW

Recruit
Jun 4, 2024
I ran across some 16mm movies taken in the 40's and one of them contains some shots taken at an aircraft assembly plant. I made some screen shots and attached them. Unfortunately, none of the pictures have a view of the complete aircraft but rather portions of the fuselage and wings. I would appreciate any information on what aircraft this is and, pushing my luck, where these pictures were taken.

Thanks, Bob W

Attachments

• WWII 1.png
    WWII 1.png
    257.2 KB · Views: 5
  • WWII 2.png
    WWII 2.png
    326.3 KB · Views: 6
  • WWII 3.png
    WWII 3.png
    287.6 KB · Views: 4
  • WWII 4.png
    WWII 4.png
    293.6 KB · Views: 6
  • WWII 5.png
    WWII 5.png
    255.5 KB · Views: 3
  • WWII 6.png
    WWII 6.png
    260.7 KB · Views: 3
  • WWII 7.png
    WWII 7.png
    172.3 KB · Views: 5
Yes it is. Pictures are taken in the same time from a series of pictures commisioned just after war usa broke out.

Kodak crome.

Thank you all so much for the info. I also didn't think the wing section going in the rail car went on the same aircraft as the other photos show. Any guess as to whether these were taken at the Inglewood, CA or the Kansas North American plant.

I ran across some 16mm movies taken in the 40's and one of them contains some shots taken at an aircraft assembly plant. I made some screen shots and attached them. Unfortunately, none of the pictures have a view of the complete aircraft but rather portions of the fuselage and wings. I would appreciate any information on what aircraft this is and, pushing my luck, where these pictures were taken.

Thanks, Bob W
Looks like a B-25 to me, or maybe a Douglas B-19?

Thanks, Grump. Given that the boxed wing is coming from the same plant as the B-25, any guess as to which NAA plant location this might be.
Thanks,
Bob W

While the shape is similar, I don't think that silver wing is a B-26. The insignia is supposed to be much further inboard (about 48" from the wing tip joint), and supposed to be 46" in diameter for all short wing models. That would make the worker next to it over 7' tall. The distance between the leading edge and aileron cutout is also supposed to be around 47-48". Hard to judge the chord at the root since the only worker near it is sitting. For a B-26 it needs to be roughly 12.9'. I'm also not seeing any fairings or cutouts for the nacelle, nor do I see the landing light cutout.

My bet would be on a single-engine type with split flaps.

Edit: also worth pointing out, B-26 wings are shipped with the rear nacelle (the part from forward of the firewall to a bit past the trailing edge) attached.

Edit 2: from a rough measurement, the diameter on the insignia seems to be about 21% of the panel's span. For a B-26 it would need to be approximately 12.6%.

Last edited:
Thank you all so much for the info. I also didn't think the wing section going in the rail car went on the same aircraft as the other photos show. Any guess as to whether these were taken at the Inglewood, CA or the Kansas North American plant.
The Inglewood plant (B-25C, G, H) assembled the aircraft (including wings) on-site - the Kansas City plant (B-25D, J) got complete outer wing assemblies, fuselage side panels,control surfaces, and transparent enclosures shipped in from the Fisher Body Division of General Motors (which also built the FM-1 & FM-2 Wildcats).

The racks of wings might indicate KC.

Here is a photo of the B-25D hall at KC in October 1942 - note the painted control surfaces but primed main airframe; it looks like the outer wings on the airframes in the background are in primer only, however:

B-25s  NAA Kansas City Ks Oct 1942.JPG

The Inglewood plant (B-25C, G, H) assembled the aircraft (including wings) on-site - the Kansas City plant (B-25D, J) got complete outer wing assemblies, fuselage side panels,control surfaces, and transparent enclosures shipped in from the Fisher Body Division of General Motors (which also built the FM-1 & FM-2 Wildcats).

The racks of wings might indicate KC.

Here is a photo of the B-25D hall at KC in October 1942 - note the painted control surfaces but primed main airframe; it looks like the outer wings on the airframes in the background are in primer only, however:

View attachment 782925
Thank you so much for the information. I have learned a great deal since joining this group. Your knowledge of WWII aircraft has been a great help.

Bob W

Last edited by a moderator:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back