need help IDing LW pilots

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

bobbysocks

Chief Master Sergeant
Feb 28, 2010
Pennsylvania
a lot of the LW pilots were big into swapping autograph cards with allied flyers. anyways i ran across these in a box and would like to know who they are. i have seen some of these before but never committed to memory who was in them. so if you could help i would appreciate it.

#1 (top left) all is I/52 something of 43
#2 (top right) i know the sig isnt herman, and not galland...so has to be the one of the other 3 guys. maybe the pilot being being honored??
#3 hajo H???????? and which one would he be?

Attachments

• LW1.jpg
    LW1.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 200
  • LW2.jpg
    LW2.jpg
    67.5 KB · Views: 196
  • LW3.jpg
    LW3.jpg
    47.2 KB · Views: 199
Last one is Hajo Hermann, father of the Wilde Sau tactics. Working on the others now but I can't help thinking the first one looks like Gunther Rall.

EDIT:

For pic 1, according to Bernd Barbas "Aircraft of the Luftwaffe Aces Vol 1." the chap holding the wreath is Johannes Wiese, pciture taken on his 100th victory in July 1943. The guy holding the statue of Icarus is Karl-Heinz Plucker.

For the second pic, it's the tail of Galland's plane that Adi and the fat one are looking at. Not sure who the other guys in the pics are but the signature is Galland's I believe (see below). If that's a signed photo you have there, it's worth a fair buck.

In the 3rd pic, I think Hajo Herman is the second from right. Looks like him anyway.

Attachments

• galland1aaabllg.jpg
    galland1aaabllg.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 183
Last edited:
yes they are all signed pics. i just couldnt read the sigs...nor am i up on too many of the LW pilots/aces. i knew galland, but didnt see how that could be his sig. i do remember there was a couple first day cards that he, dad, and a couple other pilots signed and that he had a letter or two from some of these guys. thanks for the ID.

The following reply is a direct quote from my enquiries on the excellent LEMB site

With regards to photo number 1

The photo shows Hptm. Johannes Wiese following his return from the mission of 10 July 1943 in which he accomplished his 100th aerial victory. Whether the signature is indeed his, that is hard to tell.

Photo 2 is Adolf Galland

Photo 3 is `Hajo` Hermann

Hope this is of some use

Best Regards

REDBIRD

Users who are viewing this thread

Back