Need Help: NASAF Operations 17 August 1943

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Njaco

The Pop-Tart Whisperer
Feb 19, 2007
Southern New Jersey
I've started a little project and I'm looking for any details of the NASAF operation against airfields in France in support of the USAAF VIII operation against Schweinfurt-Regensburg of 17 August 1943 - specifically anything with the 353 BS or 301 BG.

Also any info or pics of a B-17 and its crew.....

B-17F "Beautiful Baby"
B-17F-95-BO 42-30314

Thanks

Thanks very much! Lokks like some crew survived and ended up POWS. I'm starting a research project because the bombadier lived a block away from me so I'm interested.

I found a pic that claims its the B-17 "Beautiful Baby" but I'm not sure....

Attachments

• baby100.jpg
    baby100.jpg
    132.2 KB · Views: 136
Thanks Milosh. I was able to download the MACR .pdf and I visited a few sites. Trying to get a complete picture. Appears that while this was a diversion raid for Schwein-Regen (which has tons written about it) theres not much about the effort put in by the North African B-17s.

My father was Alvin Roberts, the waist gunner. He bailed out along with two others when the aircraft was shot down and was taken prisoner. All other crewmen were KIA. He died in 1969 when I was only 7 years old. I'd love to have a copy of the B-17 "Beautiful Baby" pic. The only other I've seen is a charred mess.

Last edited:
Welcome to the forum. Mr. Roberts. Where I live the local government has a "Wall of Heroes" depicting all those residents who have died in wars. Last year I noticed one person was someone who had lived only a block away from where I am. I did a small research and was actually trying to re-create the last mission. Thats how this came about but it has since stalled. I still check a few things from time to time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back