Need help on ID'ing Third Fleet aircraft

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

JNSekas

Recruit
Oct 1, 2009
Hi Folks,

I am new to this board and an avid warship modeler. Presently, I am working on a diorama of USS Gabilan (SS-252) rescuing some TBM crews on the morning of July 10, 1945 after ditching. After going through the "War Patrol Report" of the boat, I discovered that the pilots of the 3 TBMs taken aboard that morning were:

Ens. Richard J. Janke
Ens. Edward H. Lang
Ens. Aron H. Winter

After going through the aircraft losses' database on aviationarchaeology.com, it would appear that these planes most likely were launched from USS Bennington and/or USS Monterey. A TBM was also lost from USS Randolph, however, the pilot listed was listed as MIA and is not one of the above. During my research, this website popped up frequently and I was very impressed with the level and depth of knowledge the participants had. I am putting together a 1/350 Trumpeter TBM for the ditching scene and want to have the correct markings etc.

Thank you very much in advance for any help you can give me. I seem to have hit a wall right now!

John

Welcome to the site John, off hand Im not very familiar with this area but hopfully some one will answer the question.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back