need help to identify B-24 '2-D-4' and unit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TSR-2

Recruit
Nov 16, 2006
I have a 1940s vintage red-bordered Kodachrome slide of a B-24 with titles '2-D-4' on the nose but the tail is cut off and don't know its serial no. I would also like to know the unit it belonged to. see attached. Judging by the terrain it looks like Thule Greenland. Any suggestions?
B-24 2-D-4 (Red Border KCh)-t.jpg

Just going by the Nose Turret and Markings I would say the plane is not a B-24, but the US Navy version PB4Y. And by the terrain I would suggest either Alaska or the Aleutian Islands, Possibly Iceland or Greenland. Good luck in your search.
Interesting about it being Navy. I just saw this a moment ago; ignore the nose art and colour but note similar nose number.

1588292828259.png

The aircraft looks to be a PB4Y-1 (with twin tail), what's also interesting about the aircraft is the lack of paint. I don't recall seeing unpainted PB4Y-1's. The last PB4Y-1 was delivered in Jan. 45.

I think everyone has nailed this one down; the best I can add is a date range. VD-2 was formed in March 1943 with recon fighters and smaller mapping aircraft. They received their first PB4Y-1Ps in early 1946 and were redesignated VPP-2 in November that year. Based on the US East Coast, the squadron traveled the world on mapping missions. I've no guess where the photo was taken...

BTW - Nice shot!

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks all for this great info. Now I just need to know the Bu.No. The 2-D-4 also doesnt look like navy unit markings. Terry

Looking at the "Star & Bar " Maybe I am seeing things , but I see what looks like a thin or faded red line through the center of the "Bar's" on the fuselage .
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread

Back