need help to identify B-24 '2-D-4' and unit

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

TSR-2

Recruit
Nov 16, 2006
I have a 1940s vintage red-bordered Kodachrome slide of a B-24 with titles '2-D-4' on the nose but the tail is cut off and don't know its serial no. I would also like to know the unit it belonged to. see attached. Judging by the terrain it looks like Thule Greenland. Any suggestions?

Just going by the Nose Turret and Markings I would say the plane is not a B-24, but the US Navy version PB4Y. And by the terrain I would suggest either Alaska or the Aleutian Islands, Possibly Iceland or Greenland. Good luck in your search.
Interesting about it being Navy. I just saw this a moment ago; ignore the nose art and colour but note similar nose number.

The aircraft looks to be a PB4Y-1 (with twin tail), what's also interesting about the aircraft is the lack of paint. I don't recall seeing unpainted PB4Y-1's. The last PB4Y-1 was delivered in Jan. 45.

I think everyone has nailed this one down; the best I can add is a date range. VD-2 was formed in March 1943 with recon fighters and smaller mapping aircraft. They received their first PB4Y-1Ps in early 1946 and were redesignated VPP-2 in November that year. Based on the US East Coast, the squadron traveled the world on mapping missions. I've no guess where the photo was taken...

BTW - Nice shot!

Cheers,

Dana

Thanks all for this great info. Now I just need to know the Bu.No. The 2-D-4 also doesnt look like navy unit markings. Terry

Looking at the "Star & Bar " Maybe I am seeing things , but I see what looks like a thin or faded red line through the center of the "Bar's" on the fuselage .
Alex

Users who are viewing this thread