need help with luftwaffe propeller idetification (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Robin W

Recruit
Feb 8, 2009
2 weeks ago we recieved this propeller at my local small airforce wing museum in sweden. the propeller probably comes from one of many luftwaffe planes that emergencylanded in sweden during WWII. on the darkgreen almost black wooden propeller blades are letters saying
9-4114611
Satz-NrRep .3255.2-106/3 (respectively 106/1)
NABE
W.Nr 13.2357

on the hub there's a small sign saying
Vereinigte Deutsche Metallwerke A-G
Frankfurt (main) Heddernheim
Sach Nr-9-1105430U08
Werknr F12 32337

one blade is missing. the blades are made out of wood and have some kind of fiberglass covering. it seems to be a variable pitch propeller. the diameter of the hub is ca 56cm. the diameter of the propeller is 350 cm
and the big question is what kind of aircraft does it come from

img4724bv8.jpg

img4721ve5.jpg

img4720ds3.jpg

Hej Robin!

As Snautzer found, there are a number of possibilities, and they certainly look like early Bf 109B/C/D or E or Bf 110C/D/ or E props to me.

One thing that strikes me though is the yellow painted tips - in the Luftwaffe the entire blade would have been RLM 70 Schwarz-Grün wth NO coloured tips. To me it seems then that this aircraft may have been used since by the Svenska Flygvapnet, and painted accordingly.

Can you find out where it was originally recovered and which RSwAF aircraft wre operational in the area?

Evan

the aircraft that serviced in the swedish airforce was the licence built Junkers 86 or B3. they had other types of propellers. i have looked at several images of he 111 and ju88:s and some of the aircrafts have yellow tips painted on. there where no standard to paint yellow tips but some aircrews maybe did it anyway. and i noticed that early Messerschmitts had aluminium alloy propeller blades. but after asking the same question on several forums it seems to be a Ju88 propelller. with junkers jumo 211 J engines

are there any possibilities that the propeller comes from the Dornier Do24 flying boat that flew in the swedish airforce until 1951

junkers nice siggy that pilot must have been in a bad mood after that

it seems to be a dornier24 propeller. the engines on the Do24 was the same as on the Fw200 condor. and the Do17. Bmw Bramo 323 Fafnir. seen on the link below. the hub looks exactly the same as the one i got. shall see if i can find pictures of the Do24 i swedish airforce maybe i can see the yellow tips on propellers. if they look the same... Jackpot.
BMW Bramo 323 R-2 Fafnir

Users who are viewing this thread

Back