Need information on CAG-86 (VF-86) Hellcat markings

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

R Leonard,

Thanks for the info. Was this used with the Pacific Tri-Color scheme? The only photos I have from the period show a aircraft Number.

Wayne,

Thanks, I'll keep updating.

Bob Wescott

On 22 March 44 overall gloss dark blue replaced the flat tri-color scheme. This means that new deliveries would no longer come with the tri-color scheme, but would now be the dark blue.

Does this mean that aircraft already deployed were repainted? Maybe, and maybe not.

Folks on the pointy end of the stick tend to have better things to do than strip (yes, they'd strip to bare metal before switching from a flat finish to a gloss, has to do with the texture of the paint) their available aircraft and repaint them. Besides, there was a whole pipeline in place to make good losses and replace duds with nice new shiny blue planes.

I know, for example that CVG-11, operating out of Maui NAS from February to April and then out of Guadalcanal from April though July 1943, adopted neither the tri-color scheme which went into effect in February nor the bars and red surround of the national insignia which went into effect in June. CVG-11 aircraft retained their overall non-spec blue grey over light grey and plain round national insignia, without bars. I specifically asked about this once and the response was "we had other things on our minds."

I also have a picture of a division of VT-88 TBMs off USS Yorktown, clearly operating after 28 July 1945 as they are all sporting the new RR identification markings. Of six TBMs in the picture, four are in the tri-color scheme and the other two are overall gloss dark blue . . . two weeks before the end.

As I understand it, adoption of a new paint scheme, be it the gloss blue or the earlier tri-color, by already deployed units was at the commander's option.

So, if you wanted to do a tri-color with the CVL-26 triangle, in the absence of absolute evidence to the contrary, you'd probably be safe. The annecdotal evidence is that tri-colors remained in service until replaced.

Rich

I think you're probably safe with a mixture of tri-color and solid dark blues, but I wouldn't go mixing tail codes. If you are portraying the period after January but before 28 July 1945 you need to use the triangle. Whilst one might not bother to repaint an entire airplane, you can be pretty well assured identification markings were, with a couple of obvious and well known exceptions, in place as ordered.

Hi Jim, As it happens I have a photo of a VF-86 Hellcat taken in August 1945 aboard CV-18. The vertical fin is marked with an "X", as well as the aircraft side number. The "X" is repeated on the right hand wing tip. The airplane itself is finished in glossy sea blue. Phone: 252-514-6794

Users who are viewing this thread

Back