New Guy areas of interest

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very nice models. Congrats from another newbie! I also am interested in the squeebies on your Arado, since I work without an aribrush. They look hand painted, and I am tempted to try the same technique on my own Arado, sitting patiently at the moment in my "build me, build me" pile.

Question: what do you mean by "not recommended" about the Do 335 by Revell. It's the kit I have. Are there fit problems? The instructions seem pretty clear on first reading?

I really like the diorama you built for display. Moving the aircraft one at a time to it is brilliant! I am tempted to do the same kind of thing myself, being much better at diorama work than at aircraft modelling. Is that a large photo behind the diorama?

Again, very nice work.

In the end I liked the hand painted results. You just have to make sure that the width and paint coverage within a "squiggle" doesn't vary too much - which of course easily happens when using a brush. A pen would be easier, but ...

Addition: I did it in several sittings. Doing it all at once probably would have sent me to the looney bin (thinking about it: Didn't someone call this forum by the same name when welcoming me here????).

What I did not like about the Do was:
a) some relatively big fitting problems with the rear cockpit parts
b) lack of detail (cockpit) or parts just looking a bit out of scale/too thick

I bought it after some good experiences with Revell, like the Ar 234 (of course former Hasegawa), or especially the type VII sub and the GE Navy Fletcher class - but the Do 335 seems to be a way older kit (with new decals)

The diorama section will be included in a bigger display I am working on setting up as a replacement to my lacking show case space. I just put all planes in there for a quick and dirty way to take new pictures, as the ones I had of my kits were to big to upload here.

But I have a few times tried to create a small diorama just for taking pictures, also did it for my F1 cars. I guess I just like the "natural" setting.

CharlieB

Last edited:
Everbody else: thanks for your kind comments, the low resolution pictures help ;)

I am here to learn

CharlieB

Here is your pic resized down. There is no diference between their "appearances". But the size of the file was reduced to the half of the one in #9 post above. The quality of pictures is still the same.

Attachments

• IMG_1087a.jpg
    IMG_1087a.jpg
    68.6 KB · Views: 92
Last edited:
Here is your pic resized down. There is no diference between their "appearances". But the size of the file was reduced to the half of the one in #9 post above. The quality of pictures is still the same.

I believe there was some software recommended in a link to me with the instructions how to upload the files. I will try this out the next time I have pictures, so I don't overstretch any limits or loads - promise!

CharlieB

OK then... the recommended software is the Irfanview free image browaser with many useful options for working with pictures.

Charles I have had my efforts at some of those squilly's at times in 1/72 and it does lend itself to the hand for me.I have brought up on a couple of occassions though that once I start painting you have to go to the end.I was doing a 1/72 Betty? with a stange camo pattern and did 1/2 of it and came back the next day.My mood was different in some manner and it no were matched the other side she ended in the scrap bin. ;)

Last edited:
Very nice models. I really like your diorama. Were the vehicles and ground equipment from different kits or hand made?

Hi Rustybugs,

sorry for the late response - not so much time for the forum lately

If you are referring to the vehicles in this thread:

the crane is modelled after a british Coles and scratchbuilt

the handcarts are scratch

the cart for the Reichenberg is the 1/72 cart for a Bv 138 slighlty adjusted

If you are referring to my original post,

gasoline tanker is Italeri

Opel 3ton, VW, NSU, Starterwagen, Tilly - Tamiya

fire engine is basesd on the Italeri Opel with the body and equipment scratchbuilt

trailer scratchbuilt using left over parts of the Italeri Opel

Thanks for looking

btw: Happy New Year

Users who are viewing this thread

Back