New Model Honda Jet Unveiled

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

MIflyer

1st Lieutenant
May 30, 2011
Cape Canaveral
The new Elite S. And I am really not sure what they are saying with that paint job. What kind of camo is that?

0526_HondaJet_elite_s_press_release.jpg

Good point.
When the Range Rover Mk.II and MkIII, and other Land Rover products were tested in my area, though the Pennines and Peak district, they were "disguised" with false body panels to alter their shape, mainly to "fool" the motoring press I believe.
I saw a few of them, and they looked like something out of "Robocop", and the ploy obviously worked, as those artist's impressions published in motoring magazines turned out to be far off the mark, when the cars were eventually unveiled.

I was thinking that perhaps it was a form of "Dazzle" camouflage such as was used on ships.

Funny thing is the effect you can get when multiple different aircraft with the old SEA camo schemes are parked side by side on the ramp. Looking sideways, the schemes sort of merge together and sometimes you wonder what in the world type of airplane you are looking at. I was working with a couple of new civilians at my first assignment in the USAF and they would come back from a trip to the shops describing airplanes they had seen that did not exist. "It had a nose like an F-4 but the tail was like an F-105, but shorter."

I guess the engines get good protection from FOD, but is there any other reason for the overwing pylons y'all might know about?
It maximises cabin volume with not having the engines mounted to the fuselage. Having them over the wing rather than under it also allows shorter undercarriage.

Yes, and a problem for aircraft like that is with the wing higher the spar has to pass through the cabin, leaving a big hump for everyone to crawl over. With the engines on top and the wing below that does not occur.

With the HANSA jet, they used a forward swept wing for that reason - it put the spar carry through in the back, out of the way of the cabin

After the Luftwaffe got rid of them, some HANSAs became commuter airliners. A friend of mine rode in one from Haiti to French Guiana. They had lots of flights but not much air time; it does not take long to cross West Germany.

I worked on the test flight program on the first Honda Jet. We hung a pylon on the side of a B727 so Honda flight test engineers could test their engine. The company I worked for sucked but the project was great. Got a lot of accolades from the FAA and the chief engineer was a great guy.

1623428799100.png

This was from Popular Mechanics May 1996

I worked on the test flight program on the first Honda Jet. We hung a pylon on the side of a B727 so Honda flight test engineers could test their engine. The company I worked for sucked but the project was great. Got a lot of accolades from the FAA and the chief engineer was a great guy.

View attachment 627029

This was from Popular Mechanics May 1996

That's like the airplane version of Lemmy:

lemmy_1.jpg

Ladies and gentlemen, this is your captain speaking. In case of an engine failure, we ask those seated amidships to drop to the floor as quickly as possible, to avoid the flying turbine blades which will be doing their utmost to hunt you down and kill you. That is all, and thank you for flying with us."

-Irish

I was once on a DC-9 from Orlando to Reagan National and was seated all the way back where the window seat had only a view of the side of the Left engine.

I thought, "They really ought to give the people in these seats some engine instrumentation so that we could decide if we need to run forward."

I was once on a DC-9 from Orlando to Reagan National and was seated all the way back where the window seat had only a view of the side of the Left engine.

I thought, "They really ought to give the people in these seats some engine instrumentation so that we could decide if we need to run forward."

Funny you say that. I've read of a couple of airliner crashes where most of the survivors were seated at the rear -- Delta 191 at D/FW comes to mind immediately. It gave rise to the idea that the smoking section in the rear was the safest spot on the plane.

I think it has more to do with having 150' or so of fuselage out front to absorb some of the impact energy, but that's just a guess. You're also a ways away from the fuel tanks, so less chance of burning to death on the ground?

Funny you say that. I've read of a couple of airliner crashes where most of the survivors were seated at the rear -- Delta 191 at D/FW comes to mind immediately. It gave rise to the idea that the smoking section in the rear was the safest spot on the plane.

Sadly only on the right hand side of the broken-off tail section. The left hand side pax died in the tail. Nominally when an airframe suffers a relatively flat impact, the fuselage breaks forward and aft of the wing box, which sometimes explains survivor groupings, but random things sometimes happen where survivors often pop up in the least likely places in major air accidents.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back