NHL....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
FB_IMG_1700297934791.jpg

Wally Harris spent 20 years officiating in the NHL, retiring after the 1981-82 season. He was not above adding offenses to the list provided for in the rulebook.
"In New York one night, two guys stood facing each other and they iust circled around and around and around. Not one punch was thrown before the linesmen got in there. I told the announcer to give them each two minutes for dancing. He didn't want to, but I insisted. The whole crowd cracked up - even Emile Francis, the Rangers coach was laughing.
I knew I was going to be in a little trouble and sure enough the next morning the phone rings. 'Mr. Harris, we had an incident in New York last night. Do I read right, you gave two players penalties for dancing?
Or is that a misprint?'
"Mr. (NHL president Clarence) Campbell," I said, *It was an insult to call it fighting. They shadowboxed for over a minute and were never closer than three feet apart. Not a punch was thrown."
"He said, 'Well I can understand that. But in the future just call it fight-ing, please."

Source: The Hockey News

Users who are viewing this thread

Back