No. 74 Squadron RAF, the "Tiger Squadron"..

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Lucky13

Forum Mascot
Aug 21, 2006
In my castle....
Having bought Airfix 1/48 F1/F2/F3 EE Lightning, I've decided to build it as a bird from RAF's No. 74 Squadron RAF, also known as the "Tiger Squadron" because of its tiger head, its nickname is btw "Trinidad".
After having read up as small bit on this squadron and swapped some yiddi yadda with Terry, I've decided to "adopt" the squadron. Having done that and already having the Lightning, I may, when time money etc. permit, also add their Gloster Meteor F. Mk. 8, Hawker Hunter F. 6, McDonnel Phantom F-4J(UK) to the stable, after all......I am a fighter boy! :oops: :lol:

Now, just to find the right decals for these....:oops::lol:

Attachments

• No74squadronRAF.png
    No74squadronRAF.png
    13.3 KB · Views: 330
  • profile_74sqn_14.gif
    profile_74sqn_14.gif
    20.6 KB · Views: 247
  • profile_74sqn_15.gif
    profile_74sqn_15.gif
    17.8 KB · Views: 239
  • profile_74sqn_18.gif
    profile_74sqn_18.gif
    24.3 KB · Views: 343
  • profile_74sqn_19.gif
    profile_74sqn_19.gif
    22.7 KB · Views: 271
Jolly good show old chap! Did you know, that 74 Squadron were the original 'Tiger' Squadron, and it was by their invitation. or suggestion, that the annual 'Tiger Meet' began?
It looks like I might be joining you, when time, and cash, permit. As you know, I was going to do a ruck of 43 Squadron machines, but I've changed plans, and it'll now be 56 Squadron, from 1918 to 2008. This Squadron had a close relationship with 74, sharing the same bases on various occasions.
Given that I can (eventually) get all the neccessary 1/48th scale kits, I'll represent each decade, with 9 aircraft types. There are more of course, most of which are available, but space, and of course expense, prevents the whole lot being attempted.
It would be rather nice if we could get both collections together on the one table - a big table I would think old fruit!
I'll see what other decals I can track down, other than the ones I've already shown you from my spares box thingy.

Cool looking birds Jan -definately would look cool lined up together!

proberly do the same as Karl -That Hunter and Phantom are really screaming my name

Some rather nice Lightnings by you know who....8):D

Attachments

• F1_74Sqn.png
    F1_74Sqn.png
    49.1 KB · Views: 236
  • F6_74Sqn.png
    F6_74Sqn.png
    53.5 KB · Views: 254
Some rather nice work by our friend Clave there. I think we need a trip to Duxford old boy, so that you can get some shots of their Lightning in 74 Squadron's colours.

I've got a couple of angled view pics of her in a magazine Jan, but a trip there is definitely on the cards. Hopefully, Karl and I will be paying a visit on our way to see Seesul in August.
I reckon we should start a Special Interest Group thread when we are ready to go with our 'Squadron builds'. I've found a couple of my required kits at low prices - the Airfix Tornado F3 at half price, and a Monogram Typhoon (good enough for this, as I'm on a budget) at about £7. Might chuck in a Meteor F3, if I can establish the colour scheme was overall 'Aluminium' paint at that period. So, there should be a total of 10 types, if I can find a Lightning...oh, and enough cash!
It would be nice to do the whole lot from 1918 to 1998, but some types aren't kitted, and the expense would be rather high!

Hmm. Haven't seen it around for a while, I've been keeping my eyes open for you. I'd prefer the F8 too, or at least the F4, so might leave out a Meteor. It would be much easier to do this in 1/72nd scale, as virtually all of the types are available, and, of course, a LOT cheaper. But that 'tiny tot' scale is not for me, especially if detail is to be added. I'll have to try to find some decals too, Hannant's site is a little difficult, unless you know exactly what you want, and the manufacturer.

Think I've sussed most of my decal needs. I can down-scale the 1/32nd Hunter decals, and print them off my PC, and draw and print the Bulldog and Gladiator the same way. If I can get the Lightning, that's got 'em anyway, and I've got the Phantom set. If I go for a Meteor, I can do the plain silver with black code letters, and of course the Hurricane and Typhoon were the normal 'US - !' codes. Having second thoughts on the Tornado - saw a Group Build on some forum somewhere, and the Airfix kit is attrocious! The full price is £25, so no way! Might be able to get it for half price, but I don't know if even that's worth the effort. Might be better to try to convert the Italeri IDS version.
BTW, in case you didn't get my text message, have a look at the Italeri web site. The Hawk looks very nice, with PE cockpit bits and - wait for it - one of the decal options is the all black 74 Squadron scheme, with the Tiger's head covering the fin! Looks beautiful. It's £25, but the kit looks the biz!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back