North African Campaign WW2

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Nigel Brenton

Recruit
Aug 30, 2018
Hello All,

My Father served in a Mixed Squadron flying Marauders out of North Africa bombing the Yugoslav oil fields during the Second World War. he survived the War (Almost a miracle given the Marauders nickname of "THE Widow Maker") finishing up as a Warrant Officer.

Does anyone have any Squadron photos? I have misplaced the only photo I had. He has passed away a few years ago now and I have his completed Palestine Police Service records (He went there after WW2) and one of his Flight diary records and his medals but no good photos. If anyone can help it would be very much appreciated

Kind Regards

Is there a squadron number he was he flying with? I myself have never heard of a mixed squadron in the USAAF. Dates would be helpful as well. Serial numbers may be mentioned in his flight diary

You might also want to change the header to read something less generic. Using Marauder Squadron Photos Sought or something like that might attract the kind of help you need.

Is there a squadron number he was he flying with? I myself have never heard of a mixed squadron in the USAAF. Dates would be helpful as well. Serial numbers may be mentioned in his flight diary
British Commonwealth[edit]
In 1942, a batch of 52 B-26A Marauders (designated Marauder I by the RAF) were offered to the United Kingdom under Lend-Lease. Like the earlier Martin Maryland and Baltimore, these aircraft were sent to the Mediterranean, replacing the Bristol Blenheims of No. 14 Squadron in Egypt. The Squadron flew its first operational mission on 6 November 1942, being used for long range reconnaissance, mine-laying and anti-shipping strikes.[32] Unlike the USAAF, 14 Squadron made productive use of the equipment for carrying torpedoes, sinking several merchant ships with this weapon. The Marauder also proved useful in disrupting enemy air transport, shooting down considerable numbers of German and Italian transport aircraft flying between Italy and North Africa.[33]
In 1943, deliveries of 100 long-wingspan B-26C-30s (Marauder II) allowed two squadrons of the South African Air Force, 12 and 24 Squadron to be equipped, these being used for bombing missions over the Aegean Sea, Crete and Italy. A further 350 B-26Fs and Gs were supplied in 1944, with two more South African squadrons (21 and 30) joining No 12 and 24 in Italy to form an all-Marauder equipped wing, while one further SAAF squadron (25) and a new RAF squadron (39 Squadron), re-equipped with Marauders as part of the Balkan Air Force supporting Tito's Partisans in Yugoslavia. A Marauder of 25 Squadron SAAF, shot down on the unit's last mission of World War II on 4 May 1945, was the last Marauder lost in combat by any user.[34] The British and South African aircraft were quickly scrapped following the end of the war, the United States not wanting the return of the Lend-Lease aircraft.[32]

Nigel,
I believe your father flew with 39 Sqn, RAF.
You asked about this last year and I located a website for their Squadron Association. Your father's name is listed as a member they have been unable to locate.
Here is the link to the website:

B26 Marauder Association

Good luck. I'm sure if you get in touch with that organization they could help you.

Nigel,
I believe your father flew with 39 Sqn, RAF.
You asked about this last year and I located a website for their Squadron Association. Your father's name is listed as a member they have been unable to locate.
Here is the link to the website:

B26 Marauder Association

Good luck. I'm sure if you get in touch with that organization they could help you.

Thank You for this follow up , very kind of you, I'll take it from here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back