Hello from North Dakota

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

SamuelK

Airman
Feb 21, 2022
Fargo, ND, USA
Hello All,

My name is Sam Kennedy. I am from Fargo, North Dakota, about a two-hours drive from the US-Canada border. I work as a flight instructor locally, and I also volunteer at the Fargo Air Museum, mainly helping with educational events (history nights, youth engagement). In my spare time I do a lot of reading, mostly WWII aviation titles, and build the occasional model, typically in 1/72 scale. I have also been working with the Museum restoring a Vultee SNV-1 Valiant, along with a Stinson AT-19, and a Pietenpol Aircamper. Though aviation is my day job, it also fills up every other aspect of my life, but that is just fine by me! I am looking forward to sharing all things World War II aircraft from my local area, and I am also looking forward to learning a lot from this group!

Thanks,
Sam

Attached below is a P-39 that is landing at Hector Field in my hometown, ca. 1942-43. This P-39 along with all the other aircraft I could gather the serial numbers from ended up going to the Soviet Union.
Sabin 12 014.jpeg

Hello there! Out of curiosity, what were P-39s en route to the USSR doing in North Dakota? Just curious and googling North Dakota and P-39 brought up this btw:

Hello there! Out of curiosity, what were P-39s en route to the USSR doing in North Dakota? Just curious and googling North Dakota and P-39 brought up this btw:
From what I have gathered, it was a stopping point for aircraft being ferried, but I have just learned of this recently! I will be doing more digging on the topic.

From what I have gathered, it was a stopping point for aircraft being ferried, but I have just learned of this recently! I will be doing more digging on the topic.
More on the AL-SIB route here

Users who are viewing this thread

Back