Obituaries

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mikhail Gorbachev, last Premier of the Soviet Union, has died aged 91. Seen in the West as the architect of the end of the Cold War, and of Russia joining the rest of the world through his policy of Glasnost, he was, unsurprisingly, viewed rather differently in Russia as the instigator of the chaos that came after the fall of the Soviet Union.

Regardless of your viewpoint, he was a brave man who acted on his principles. Oh, that we had a few more like him in Russia today.

This is such a weird feeling today. As a kid living in Germany in the 80s and 90s, experiencing the end of the Cold War first hand, and the fall of the Berlin Wall left a permanent impact on my life. I may have been young, but I remember it clearly. I remember the "Tear Down This Wall" Speech, and I remember watching the Berlin Wall fall. Maybe it is because up until that point I lived on the front lines of potential WW3. The Soviet Army was only several hundred kilometers away. At the time there were two level headed leaders leading the United States and the Soviet Union, Ronald Reagan and Mikhail Gorbachev. Despite their differences they found a way to seek peace and to meet common ground (something our leaders today, and their blind cult like followers are incapable of).

With Gorbachev's passing today, the two leaders who probably impacted my life the most are gone. Its just a litteral surreal feeling I cannot explain.

Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II died today after a lifetime of service. She counts as a WW2 veteran since she wore uniform during that conflict:

Despite her oft-dysfunctional offspring (who wouldn't be a little warped being raised in that pressure-cooker environment), she embodied service before self, and was a bedrock of stability through her many tumultuous decades.

Farewell Auntie Betty....may your successors continue in the mould you created.

Users who are viewing this thread