Oblt Lenz Finster 4./NJG1 flying ME 110 G-4 (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

ian lanc

Senior Airman
Sep 30, 2007
mansfield, nottinghamshire
Anyone got any info' of the above German pilot and his aircraft and most of all any pictures of his aircraft serial codes please.

I'm soon to build the 1/48th Eduard ME110 G-4 and this fighter has got to have the correct colours/aerials.

ian.

I think Erich would be the man for this one Ian. But the radar antenna on the G4 would be the Sn2 by then I would think. See my Bf110G-4 in the first Group Build, 'Defence of the Reich'.
The code latters for NJG 1 were G9, followed by the ID letters.

well we are going on presumption he had the SN-2 with center pole lichtenstein or the 4 rodded lichtenstein aerials, nothing is proving positive since the downing of his 110G-4 towards the end of 43 is similar to my cousin Hans Baer downing in a similar A/C probably.

Staffelkapitän of 4./NJG 1 so maybe we can assume he flew G9+AM though again we are presuming. by December the 110G-4 should of been painted a light grey-white blue winter camo in my opinion.

Thanks for the two replies guys any help is better than none at all !

I've been told that Oblt Lenz Finster was flying 4./NJG1 flying ME 110 G-4.

In the eduards kit it gives you colour numbers but not in Humbrol colours and with
me being a fan of Humbrol paints i swear by them, i could do with finding out the
Humbrol equielent of these numbers, any idea's please ?

RMO2 - Grey [interior]
RM70 - light grey.
RM75 - dark grey.

What type of aerials are on the nose of Finsters fighter ?

GetAttachment1-2.gif

Are they the same which are supplied in the Eduards kit ? Scrowl down to nearly the bottom of the page.

http://www.onlinehobbysite.com/PDF files/8206.pdf

I have been told that Finsters fighter looked very simular to this/what colours do you think these are in ?......

Messerschmitt Bf 110 G-4/R3 by Jan Forsgren (Mauve 1/48)

Cheers.
ian.

I do not agree with the models patchwork of greys it would be an overall airbrush grey/blue-white, very light overall for December. as I said the big problem is the radar equipment Finster still may have ahd the 4 pole Lich. that is shown in your September 43 b/w pic or the later vertical aerial SN-2 with center pole Licht as I explained in the previous posting

I'm with Erich regarding the colour scheme. It'll need more research to determine the antenna too, as the dates are just around the time of the chnages to the equipment.
Regarding the Humbrol paints. First, RLM 70 is Schwazrgrun (black green), not one of the greys.
Humbrol used to do the colours in the old, much missed 'Authenticolour' range, and i keep old tin lids in order to match the colours, which I mix myself.
The interior would not be RLM 02, but RLM 66, which is half a shade darker than Humbrol 27 grey. The RLM 02 was replaced with '66 as of 1941. However, the interior of wheel bays and such is RLM 02, and i mix this with a roughly equal mix of Humbrol Green 30 and grey 27, and add a spot of white. Note that RLM 02 could, and did vary, and appeared lighte on internal areas, compared to when used as an external camouflage colour.
The greys which would have been used on the '110G-4 would have been RLM 76 overall, with the mottle or welle (wave) pattern in either RLM 74 or 75.
Again, Humbol 27 can be used for the 74/75. It is made about half a shade lighter for the 75, and quarter to half a shade darker for the 74.
I mix RLM 76 a number of ways. If you think of it as very close to RAF Medium Sea Grey, but a touch lighter, and with a slight blue cast, then you'll be able to visualise it. That's the overall base colour seen on my '110G-4. I normally use a mix of light grey, around about Medium Sea Grey, and add a small amount of Humbrol 65 (which is also a straight use for RLM 65 Hellblau).
I know this all sounds vague, but i've been doing it for so many years, that it's virtually second nature, and i know when it looks right !

and besides the RLM 76 look there may have been a wash of winter white applied, the reason I gave for the bizarre grey/blue-white camo. one problem to is that there could be several different camo styles on individual A/C even within a staffel

Users who are viewing this thread

Back