Old/Aged decal tip! (1 Viewer)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wolfman_63

Airman 1st Class
Jan 20, 2014
Schaumburg IL
I recently completed a 1/48 scale A-7E to represent my old Navy squadron. The problem was the set of decals for my particular squadron were made by Microscale and have been out of print for a number of years. I was able to locate a sheet on Ebay that looked in great condition. When it came time to start the decals I put a decal of the numbers in water. After a minute or so I removed them, prepped the model surface and went to go move the decal from the sheet to the model. To my surprise (and panic) the decal disintegrated into tiny pieces as soon as the brush went to slide them. I needed to at least get the squadron specific decals transferred. I had made decals in the past and have a can of the MicroMark Fixative spray. I sprayed the decal sheet with a couple of thin coats. I then tried another decal and it worked. The fixative spray acted as a thin film holding the decal together and allowing me to use them.
So if you have old or aged decals that you want to used, I would recommend getting some decal fixative spray and give them a couple of light coats to prevent them from falling apart. NOTE: you will need to cut the decals close to the edges as the fixative will make it as is the decal sheet is one large decal.

THX for the tip. :thumbright:

Actually it isn't anything new the old decal markings falling apart while soaking. Personaly I use the gloss clear coat of Humbrol. I have been using that way of protection for almost 20 years.

Yes, there are various products out there that will do this and it's always a good idea take this precaution with an old sheet. A good reminder.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back