Oldest Bomber in WWII?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Maybe we should define the criteria a little more. Do we base it on when it first flew or when it went into service as the basis of age?

The aircraft were on strength at the time of invasion but offered no resistance to the invading allied forces .

Here are a couple of links to sites that I know of that may be of some assistance

The Armed Forces of WWII ( Near East ).

List of Iranian Air Force aircraft: Facts, Discussion Forum, and Encyclopedia Article

I also used Ellis's Statistical Reference to get some idea of what was available

i know they have it but the trouble was i understand "used" as used in operation.

Maybe we should define the criteria a little more. Do we base it on when it first flew or when it went into service as the basis of age?
I think that the clock starts ticking from it's first flight. When it goes into service is a matter of delivery, any changes made by the buyer, country getting over-run by an enemy and so on...those situations can disproportionately skew an aircraft's sevice timeline.

And I totally forgot about the Vildebeast...good stuff guys, we're finding some really old stuff here!

i know they have it but the trouble was i understand "used" as used in operation.

They were not used in combat, but that was a function of the decisions made by their owners, not a function of the aircraft themselves.

After the surrender of Iran, the aircraft w3ere shipped to India, and used as trainers I believe

The TB-1 was older, and used for transportation duties until 1947. Some of them flying in the front vicinity, were rearmed.
Until 1945 there were some Polikarpov R-5 ( 1928 ) in the VVS inventory and thousands of Po-2 (1927) night bombers!!!

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back