On board with Jim Clark at Brands Hatch....

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Those ground effect skirts should never have been allowed. I raced a motorcycle at Brands Hatch in the wet after F1 had been there. They left a line of aluminium on most but not every corner, it was ffffing scary, especially paddock bend which had a bump in the middle and no grip at all.

Nothing beats NASCAR! The roar when those engines start and then when the pace car drops off and they all hit it at once! Wow, its visceral. Can't be replicated on TV you really have to be there!

Possibly the loudest noise I have ever heard was the start, actually two starts thanks to 'Hunt the shunt' with a little help from Regazzoni and Lauda, of the 1976 British GP at Brands Hatch. Proper normally aspirated V8s (Cosworth still ruled the roost and powered most of the grid), the Ferrari flat 12, Matra's V 12, none of this hybrid nonsense or turbos. Today's GP cars sound like slightly loud milk floats.
Cheers
Steve

Nothing beats NASCAR! The roar when those engines start and then when the pace car drops off and they all hit it at once! Wow, its visceral. Can't be replicated on TV you really have to be there!

Not much argument from me on that, but for pure earsplitting brain piercing internal combustion sound, I used to work at the local dragstrip back in the '70's (and ran at it too) and being in the bleach box area when a top fuel dragster cleans his rear tires off, even with ear protection ------> PAINFUL.

Went to the 50th anniversary of Daytona as a birthday present for my dad, sometimes you could hardly hear the cars over the drunken rednecks yelling woohoo every 10 secs, while the first 10 laps and the last 10 were cool I'll pass except for the Nascar road races, that I can watch.

I've been to a few F1 races, 95 in Montreal,French GP at Paul Ricard,must of been mid 70's and a few in the late 70's early 80's at Watkins Glen, All those V6 turbos,v8's and v12s sounded better than the cars these days, racing was better,more manufacturers,engines,tires. Heck the Glen was great because you could walk thru the pit area and watch the mechanics work, Next best thing for that would be a drag race where you can get up close to the cars in the pits.

Great stuff !
One of my favourite eras for F1 and motor sport in general, and I always loved the Lotus 49, more so in it's 49B version, in the Gold Leaf colours, the first of the 'sponsors colours' cars.

Yep.
And notice the track safety features - none, apart from the odd sandbag or straw bale !
Jim Clarke died when he hit a tree at Hockenheim and few gave a damn, it was considered part of the sport. I remember racing at Silloth which had a farmers wire fence in the run off area of a high speed curve while the hairpin was marked with oil drums filled with concrete. I raced there in 1982 months before Gerry Hislop (brother of Steve) died and the circuit was closed. To me it was stupidly ffffing dangerous even though I won the three races in my class. But then I remember Barry Sheene being booed and jeered for not competing in the Isle of Man. Ron Haslam was considered a "chicken" for not racing at Scarborough (perhaps the most stupid an lethal place to race a bike) even though his brother Phil died there when he hit a bridge.

I think the sport has gotten a lot safer, or at least more survivable for both the drivers and the fans, but like most sports you can only make it so safe before it is no longer a sport. The element of danger seems to be what draws both the fans and the drivers. Take too much away and no one comes, leave too much in and tragedy is sure to visit. It is a real knife edge of a balancing act.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back