OS2U-3 Kingfisher that rescued Rickenbacker - need the Bureau Number

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

NNAM

Airman
Jan 10, 2021
The OS2U-3 that rescued Rickenbacker was assigned to VS-1-D14 landbased on Funafuti in the Ellice Islands. When this a/c, nicknamed The Bug, first found the B-17's pilot, it was being flown Frederick E. Woodward and gunner Lester H. Boutte. The next day, when Rickenbacker was found, the same a/c was being flown by William F. Eadie and Boutte. There are no war diaries for VS-1-D14. The photos of The Bug we have are front views (see attached), so the BuNo isn't visible. I've read reams of accounts of these rescues, but still no BuNo! I need the BuNo! Please HELP!! Thank you in advance.
OS2U_The_Bug_September_1943.jpg

This doesn't answer your question, but perhaps some info you don't have already.

Oct 15, 1942, Page 5, VS-1D14, 15 OS2U-3, 11 Samoa, 4 Funa Futi

Nov. 12, 1942, Page 5, VS-1D14, 15 OS2U-3 Samoa
https://www.history.navy.mil/conten...cation-of-us-naval-aircraft-1944/12-11-42.pdf

Dec. 17, 1942, Page 6 (Same as above)

After reading reams and reams of accounts of this rescue, I figured out how to find the BuNo in the Aircraft History card microfilm reels - hoping, of course, I wouldn't have to look at 1600 OS2U-3 cards. The BuNo is 5308.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back