Out of the Big Three WW2 bombers (B-17, B-24, Lancaster), was the Flying Fortress the most redundant?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Tracers were removed as the war progressed, as the tracers actually resulted in poorer accuracy due to the optical illusion they created (the 'cut back' effect).

See the video "Why WWII Bombers Eliminated Tracers in their Ammo Belt Mixes" from the WWII US Bombers channel on YouTube, which cites the wartime documentation on the subject. (In the description box for the video there is a link to a Google Drive from which the documents shown can be downloaded.)

That would have roughly the same effect on .303s, correct? Granted how weight affects ballistics.

and this rather depends on one's definition of mass produced. Yes their is a defense between even a few hundred a year and tool room samples.

1940..........................5155 guns
1941......................49,479 guns
1942...................347,492 guns
1943...................641.638 guns
1944...................677,011 guns
1945...................239,821 guns

This is for ALL .50 cal guns, Air, sea and ground, including the water cooled AA guns. It was possible to build a water cooled gun on an AN/M2 receiver if you had all the extra parts. Most of the differences were in the barrel and barrel and barrel jacket. The rate of fire was dependent on the spring/s and buffer (?).

Thank you. That's what I get for going by memory.

After a little extra research, I found that BeauOrd didn't get an AN/M2 into a production aircraft until 1940.

Do you have an online source for those numbers by the way? - I am still trying to rebuild my archives after my PC set itself alight a few years back.

And the M8 API was not a very good incendiary, it did work somewhat as an indicator if the shooter was hitting because it often gave a flash on impact. All you had was little bit between the AP core and the Jacket. Advantage was that as the war went on over 80% of the belt was API. total amount of incendiary wasn't too bad compared to guns with 30-40% of the ammo being incendiary and rest AP and some tracers mixed in.

Pilots opinions on the M8 seems to be highly mixed. Some swear by it as a game changer in terms of effectiveness on target. Others seemed to have preferred vanilla AP and/or ball and noted the the ballistics on the M8 were slightly different. Similar story with the M20 - some pilots thought the tracer was a great help in aiming, others didn't like it because they felt the tracer/smoke altered a target they were being shot at.

Late war you had some new incendiary on a trial basis. Dragondog's father may have used some some and it was pretty scary stuff, for the guys firing it.

Likely the M23.

This had a different design to the previous incendiary rounds. The M8 and M20 round had small amounts of incendiary material packed into the nose, with a hardened steel armour piercing core behind this. Somewhere around 2-2.4% of the round by weight.

The M23 was basically all incendiary material, packed into a soft steel liner. It had about four times more volume of incendiary material than the M8 and double that of the M1 incendiary. It was also a much higher velocity projectile (circa 600 ft/minute higher than the M8 or M20).

A WW2 vintage round or a modern round? To the best of my knowledge, the US didn't adopt a 'explosive-tipped' .50 round until the mid 1980s (and even then, by acquiring a foreign developed round).

Standard .50 cal rounds at the beginning of the war were the M2 ball, M2 AP and M1 tracer. Typical belting was 2 ball - 2 AP - 1 tracer

A new M1 incendiary round was introduced during 1942, as was the M2 tracer. These largely replaced the M2 ball and the M1 tracer in belt configurations. The M10 tracer was introduced a little later than these, although I can't find an exact date of service entry at the moment, and rapidly replaced the M1 tracer.

In 1943 the M8 AP-Incendiary and M20 AP-Incendiary-Tracer were developed, with both introduced sometime around very late 1943 or early 1944 (EDIT: Tony Williams gives "Spring 1944" for M8 service entry). These basically replaced everything else except for M2 AP. Standard belt configurations were typically comprised of AP, API and API-T, although it seems that incendiary rounds were more favoured in the PTO (possibly because of a lack of armour on Japanese aircraft).

There was also the M23 Incendiary round, which didn't enter service until just before VE Day.

It's not me that was making the argument, it was the RAF.
It was a WW II .50 cal bullet.

I would yes and sitting upright in a natural position with four .303's in front of me in a well designed turret with excellent visibility and wide angles of fire would in my opinion be better than two .50's in a not so well designed mount with limited visibility and traverse, it's still going to be extremely difficult to hit a fighter in either but for me the Lancaster turret with four guns loaded with lots of tracer would definitely be the pick of the two .
View attachment 708913
View attachment 708914
Nice shot of the Millenium Falcon!

Are you saying that American bomber gunners didn't have tracers in belt? I've been under the impression that they did load tracer, perhaps not the 1:5 ratio that American fighters normally did. Did British bombers use that 1:5 ratio as you suggest? Direct answers to both questions would be appreciated.
No they all had tracers but with four guns @ 1150 RPM each the volume going out would have been greatly increased making sight correction easier. I also don't think single pintle mounted .50's in the nose of pre G model B17's or in the waist were worth a damn, even on a solid mount like an armored vehicle or ship the spread was enormous.

Except that the tracer had poor ballistics and tumbled (Basil Dickens ORS). It was discontinued in February 1945. From the 6-Group end of war "Historical Review No 6 RCAF Heavy Bomber Group European Theatre. Appendix to the 6-Group ORB

View attachment 708922

Jim
So in February 1945 after six years of war and after gyro gunsights were developed they abandoned tracer ammunition, that's your argument?.

So in February 1945 after six years of war and after gyro gunsights were developed they abandoned tracer ammunition, that's your argument?.
No. completely out of context. My argument was, according to the senior British Scientist (Basil Dickens) working in the Operational Research Research section of Bomber Command. That's my argument.

Harris said rather than use their gunsights, gunners were hose-piping all over the sky. Also, gunners were most often using their guns during the corkscrew manoeuvre. And Tracer was completely useless FRP during that.

Pat: I am sourcing wartime and immediate post war documents by senior officers and scientists who served during that time. Where is your "source" material from?

No they all had tracers but with four guns @ 1150 RPM each the volume going out would have been greatly increased making sight correction easier. I also don't think single pintle mounted .50's in the nose of pre G model B17's or in the waist were worth a damn, even on a solid mount like an armored vehicle or ship the spread was enormous.

While I agree with you that the -17's nose armament was crummy, you're not really addressing the issue of tracer fall-off that 33k in the air 33k in the air mentioned above, which would affect British as well as American tracers, and perhaps moreso due to lighter throw-weight. You still haven't addressed the issue of lighter rounds having less punch, either. Lotsa hopscotching here.

Okay: Here is the Basil Dickens Reference:
Basil Dickens Reference on Operational Research in Bomber Command.jpg

And here is what he said on Tracer:

Basil Dickens on the Effectiveness of Tracer Ammunition.jpg

Pat303: you are entitled to your opinions. on the effectiveness of tracer. Personally, I'm paying more attention to the Scientist whose team actually studied its effectiveness.

Jim

Yes, but not a lot. As mentioned above, KB.865 was one of the first to be equipped with that, and it was first operational with dad and crew, 1-March-1945. Below, KB.865. It's the a/c in the foreground. Note the more forward position of the turret. Photo CND Image Library, Yarmouth Nova Scotia, June-1945

View attachment 708920
First of all, a lovely photo. Again you are correct, it was only a few but it does show that if we had taken daylight raids seriousl,y there was a fairly easy option to improve the defence of the Lancaster. At night there was less urgency as the combat ranges were so much shorter as few fighters would continue an attack once they started to be hit by return fire. The one advantage of quad .303 is that there were a lot a bullets in the air

Last edited:
It was a WW II .50 cal bullet.

Well, as the US never adopted a high explosive round for the M2 during WW2, I can think of a couple of alternatives:

You've been misinformed about what it was, or misidentified or misremembered the round
It was an experimental round. There were three, at least, high explosive rounds for the M2 that were developed during the war, but none were adopted for service. They are VERY distinctive compared to a standard M2 round, with a copper nose with a flat front and a steel body. They're also very rare and valued by collectors.
It wasn't an M2 round, but a round from a different gun. A number of other nations (Italy, Japan and Germany to start with) developed true HE rounds for their aerial heavy machine guns. The Belgians developed an HE round for their version of the Browning, which came in 13.2mm.

To the best of my knowledge, the only high explosive tipped round that the US has adopted for regular service in .50 is the Mark 211 from Nammo. Even then, it's mostly for specialty anti-materiel rifles.

First of all, a lovely photo. Again you are correct, it was only a few but it does show that if we had taken daylight raids seriousl,y there was a fairly easy option to improve the defence of the Lancaster. At night there was less urgency as the combat ranges were so much shorter as few fighters would continue an attack once they started to be hit by return fire. The one advantage of quad .303 is that there were a lot a bullets in the air
So why then was the Chief of Bomber Command so insistent on getting 50 caliber rear turret then? I guess he wasn't as knowledgeable on this subject as as you? And at night here was less urgency? I presume you think that Bomber crews found solace that there was less urgency?

The salvation of daylight operations was fighter cover, not the GM250.

I give up! Where is Flyboy when I need him!

Don't take me wrong here. My personal opinion is the .50 cal is a better weapon/round than the .303, but fact is an explosive M2 round was not introduced during the Second World War.

Having said that, an aircraft's armament is largely based on its intended target. If you are attacking bombers you want a larger round, hence why the German's largely armed their fighters with 20 mm and 30 mm cannons as the war progressed. If your intended target is a fighter aircraft, a .303 is sufficient. If it wasn't, it would not have been used so widely.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back