The Tempest has a socking great radiator, making it far more vulnerable.
What's the frontal area of that radiator and Sabre compared to the ENORMOUS frontal area of the R2800?
The Germans themselves noted that the FW190 presented a larger target for air gunners than the Bf109 because of that increased frontal area.
Also, earlier you said that: "The liquid cooled engines were far more likely to be knocked out by a hit to the radiators"
I used to assume the same (and apologies to those who've read my tale before) until I was put right by a lovely old ex FAA chap called Blunden who flew in Korea. We were talking about the aircraft he flew during his service, and two that were mentioned were the Fairey Firefly and the Hawker Fury, both of which were operated by UK carriers there as part of the UN force.
We got to talking about the missions flown and I expressed surprise that the Fireflies were just as much involved in ground attack as the Furies. I asked why so, given the assumed vulnerability of liquid cooled engines compared to a radial. He told me that even by mid WW2, most RAF aircraft with liquid cooled engines had significant armouring protecting their radiators and cooling lines, and that the engines themselves were smaller and therefore less likely to be hit in the first place. He also pointed out that there were plenty of places on a radial which, if hit would have equally disastrous effects. He said that the upshot (if you'll excuse the pun) was that there didn't appear to be any overall difference in survivability deriving from the engine type.
I considered myself put right.
The last time this subject reared its head, one of the wise owls was going to see if they could trawl through 2nd Tac and USAF loss records to see if there was any significant difference in loss rates between P47s engaged in ground attack compared to other types like Typhoons flying similar missions. I don't think it was ever entirely resolved, but certainly nothing obvious in the P47's clear favour was demonstrated - which I think indicated that the whole 'P47 radial ruggedness' as a deal closing argument viz a viz ground attack, might have turned out to be a bit spurious in the scale of things.
Asa final note and one of happy coincidence, I was reading tonight about the progress being made to restore Typhoon RB396 back to flight. As part of the background history of the aircraft, even though it only flew operationally for e few months in 1945, it received ground fire damage on no less than 18 separate occasions, requiring temporary grounding to effect repairs. EIGHTEEN. ( a project well worth supporting BTW - hawkertyphoon.com )
That all together suggests to me that any issue of radiator vulnerability had been mitigated pretty well, and for any aircraft from mid war onwards equipped for ground attack missions, and difference between liquid or air cooled engines was probably negligible.