P-39

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Wildr1

Senior Airman
Mar 4, 2016
More from my collection, various auctions and trades with other collectors
p-39-07 SOHIO 39.jpg
P-39K Trainer1a.jpg
webp-net-resizeimage-22.jpg
p-39-08 swept 39.jpg

Isn't the last one a P-63?
Yes.
Bell proposed a 10-week, $100,000 modification of two surplus Army Air Force P-63As; Grumman, an ugly modification of an F4F Wildcat, including a nose landing gear, and a more expensive, all-new design that included a second seat for a test engineer and the capability to be configured with both swept and straight wings.
Bell had referred internally to the aircraft as the XP-63N but the Navy formally designated it L-39 on 19 April 1946. This was consistent with the Navy's practice for research aircraft, with the L being the letter assigned to Bell by the Navy and 39 being the Bell design number, as opposed to a model number. However, the number of at least one of Bell's L-39 flight test reports began with 33, which was the model number of the early P-63s. L-39-1 was assigned BuNo 90060 and L-39-2, BuNo 90061.
U.S. Navy Aircraft History: Bell L-39 Wing Sweep Evaluation

Here is a nice shot, Crew chief and pilot, I assume. I am guessing New Guinea in late 1942. And they can't send a kid like that up in that crate!
p39-marston-mat-sm.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back