I need the Measurements to make a p-40 flying tigers Instrument Panel and i think it was the p-40E? or N model. Heres a link to both http://www.warbirdsite.com/museumP-40.html and it would be great to get the specs so i can built one thanks
Most of the Flying Tigers P-40s were earlier models that were equivalent to the P-40C more or less although they did get a few P-40Es before they were disbanded.
The panel in the "C" was completely different that that in the "E" and later models, and much simpler, shaped like an inverted "T" to accommodate the butts of the .50s in the nose.
So the flying tigers used C models and E's ok thanks for the info and i am still trying to get the measurements so still stuck in the same spot i have been for awhile now
I made a control panel for a P-47 by scaling a photo.(See the link at my signature) I can tell you how to do it for the P-40C panel picture below. It's not hard, just takes Excel spreadsheet program and an architect scale. Take the photo below and insert it into an Excel spread sheet. The instruments are two different sizes except for the art horizon which is larger. The large ones have an outside diameter of 3 1/8" and the small ones are 2 1/4"
Choose a scale to use like 1/2 or 1/4 and size the image vertically until you can scale the instruments on the computer screen to the correct dimension. Next size it horizontally. When both the large and small instruments scale out to the proper dimensions you can scale off any dimension you need right off the screen. It worked perfect for My P-47 panel and all the instruments fit perfectly when I cut it out of aluminum.
T-Bolt could you share the Sperry AN5735 directional gyro and AN5736 Horizontal indicator gyro dimensions (face diameter and screw hole distances)? I need to make correct size indicator face and mounting screw holes in the P-40E instrument panel for these. I have some blueprints but they are so smudgy that I can't read the information for these two instruments. I have made the holes from drawings but I would like to confirm the values. Would appreciate it, thanks!
I'm not sure of the model numbers of the instruments I have but I think they are pretty standard. I can make some measurements tonight and get back to you.