P-40 on Floats Study

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Very Interesting. I wonder if anything else came of it. It would make an interesting conversion for a model. I have a set of floats from a PT-13 in my spares box but I'm sure that would be too small.

It's got me thinking. Always looking for a new way to build a P-40. Been doing a little looking around on the internet and found it mentioned on a forum that Edo 6560 floats were 24' 10" long. If I did my math right that would translate to about 6 3/16". Also found a document where they were looking at the possibility of using the same size float on the Kingfisher instead of the Vought made one so it would have to be pretty much the same size. I'll have to go measure the float on my Kingfisher and see if it's close.

I pulled out those floats from the 1/48th PT-22 kit and it looks like they are the right length for a 1/72nd P-40. I have a Academy P-40E in the stash that would work. It would look good sitting next to that twin P-40 I finished a couple of months ago. I knew I saved those floats for something.

They were pretty large ones too. Someplace I read that model of float was used for the Beach 18. Found some beat-up looking ones on line for sale that were pretty pricey so 89 grand might not be out of line

Glenn, I'll get some photos of the two pair(1/48) I have with a ruler beside them for scale. If one or the other suit you, it's yours.

Geo

Users who are viewing this thread

Back