P-40B/c -> P-40D question

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

tomo pauk

Creator of Interesting Threads
Apr 3, 2008
Early versions of the P-40 have had hull guns (plus their ammo, plus synchro gear) installed. The guns were deleted, starting with D version.
My question: what took the place once occupied by guns, their ammo synchro gear?

I did a little searching last night for a picture if the interior of that area and all the pics I saw didn't show anything in that area, so maybe it was left empty. I know that the butts of the fifties came through cut-outs in the control panel in the Bs and Cs. This area was filled my a larger control panel in later models, so that's how at least some of the space was filled, but forward of the instruments I am not sure of.

They changed the engine to the Allison V-1710-39 and redesigned the nose so I'm reasonably sure there wasn't any "left over" space

It's not just a question of left over volume. The D/E used the higher thrust line -39 engine which meant the propeller was moved 6in higher than on the C. the cowl guns would have had to be shifted up to clear the prop.
The other question is back to the CG issue. The cowl .50s and their ammo were close to the CG. The wing guns and their ammo are close to or on the CG. No problem. The plane is already heavy, what are you going to stick in there just to use up space? The extra room from the guns (and more importantly the ammo bins) may have allowed better access to things for maintenance. Cramming every available nook and cranny with "STUFF" makes working on the plane a nightmare.

On the P40 D-N the oil tank was in the space (juse behind the firewall) that held the fuslage ammo boxes on the P40B/C.
On the P40B/C the oil tank was behind the rear fuslage fuel tank
=================================================
P40D/E
P40D.jpg

=================================================
P40B/C
P40h81oil.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back