P-47 Information

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

B29WereWolf

Airman
Aug 2, 2010
Hi All:
I was wondering if someone has some P-47 Cockpit drawings that show the fuselage ribs with some dimensions to it? I tried to write the National Air Space Museum for blueprints but they're moving all their library to the Udvar Hazey building and will not resume duplications for some time. I've been looking everywhere but cant find anything. I'd appreciate any help.
-Jonas

Jonas
I spent months searching the Internet for cockpit dimension info and there is nothing out there. I came up with my dimensions buy scaling off cockpit interior photos using items such as the radio control as a yard stick as I have one and knew its size..Here are a couple of drawings I worked out to build my 1:1 cockpit. First one is a section at the panel that I added dimensions that I worked out. Second is sort of slim but it shows the rib layout of the right side cockpit wall from the inside. The triple 3/4 dimensions is the triple rib where the support post at the rear of the windscreen is attached to. I used that as a sort of zero point to figure all my dimensions. I have a few more drawings but I think only I could make head or tails out of them with out their being completely re-drawn.

What are you making by the way?

Attachments

• Section dimentions.jpg
    Section dimentions.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 599
  • side wall lay-out.jpg
    side wall lay-out.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 581
Thanks for the info. I'm looking into building a simulator pit, since I'll never be able to fly the real thing (don't have enough tail wheel time to even get into flying T-6s). There is nothing out there as far as drawings, they're all under lock-and-key at the musuesms. I'll see the USAF musuem has any information. Thanks.

Might sound like a daft suggestion, but have you tried contacting an operator of a restored P47? A polite request might get you what you need and, at worst, can only result in a 'No' !

These might help: From MBI, Warbird Tech and Kagero. Cheers.

Attachments

• MBI  kjf1.jpg
    MBI kjf1.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 587
  • WT  7182.jpg
    WT 7182.jpg
    538.6 KB · Views: 589
  • KAG  srutsu1.jpg
    KAG srutsu1.jpg
    258.9 KB · Views: 538
  • KAG  srutsu2.jpg
    KAG srutsu2.jpg
    256.9 KB · Views: 542
I've been meaning to get that book, I have the one on the B-29 and for the 747 classic and -400 and they're excellent books. The -400 is helping me to build a model with the flaps down. Ebay has one for $100 but I'll check amazon. Thanks for the great info guys.

That's some great material verner! I don't think I've seen any of those before except maybe the line drawings, and those I have are of such low resolution to be useless. I wish I had seen them when I was starting my project!

Last edited:
Does anyone have some dimensional drawings of the exterior? I am trying to check differences between the P-47D and P-47N and see what is wrong with my flight sim model that just looks a bit off.

- Ivan.

Does anyone have some dimensional drawings of the exterior? I am trying to check differences between the P-47D and P-47N and see what is wrong with my flight sim model that just looks a bit off.

- Ivan.

The main differences between the P-47N and previous models of the P-47 were:

-Longer wing. an 18" plug was added at each wing root making the landing gear track even wider and providing 2 more fuel tanks for extra range.

-Squared off wing tips.

-Dorsal fillet even bigger then late model P-47Ds and P-47Ms.

-2 radio masts on the top of the rear fuselage slightly off center to he right.

-R-2800 "C" Series engine. Same as the P-47M. Differed visually from the engine in earlier models my having a more cylindrical reduction gear hosing with a multitude of bolts as opposed to the earlier engines which had a more built shaped housing.

-5 sets of zero length rocket stubs under each wing.

-Redesigned cockpit with a different control panel, new armament panel, primitive autopilot, and a redesigned pilots seat with armrests.

Essentially, what you are saying is that there are no differences other than minor detail.

Do you know of any source for dimensional drawings? I built this plane a few years back and wanted to check dimensions.

- Ivan.

Attachments

• P-47D-27.jpg
    P-47D-27.jpg
    43 KB · Views: 366
Thanks T Bolt.

From the name, I would guess you are a fan of the P-47. Those drawings should help quite a lot. My biggest issue is that the current P-47 model (P-47D-27) doesn't quite look right in the belly and the fuselage decking. The canopy also looks a bit large. It was done so long ago that I don't remember the drawings I used to do it. I suspect they were not the best.

The first goal is to correct the original and then to convert it to a couple of the later variants.

- Ivan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back