P-47 or P-51

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Mike MacDoandl

Recruit
Feb 2, 2013
My father was a fighter pilot and I heard him say "if I've got someone on my ass I throw everything up and the left". What would that make the airplane do?

Gyroscopic forces will turn the plane faster in the direction opposite of the turning blades torque. Since the blades are turning to the right as you look at them from the cockpit, the plane would turn up and left faster, for a break away. Once you have done that you can come around in what they call a yo-yo these days and try to get on the attackers tail. See here for more: Basic fighter maneuvers - Wikipedia

'Throw everything up and to the left' would mean pushing forward (pitching the aircraft down) and left (rolling the aircraft left) on the stick as much as possible.

This would send the airplane into a violent downward spiral. This was a somewhat common evasive manoeuvre that you can find referenced throughout the war - including from top aces (Eric Hartmann included).

EDIT: for clarity
EDIT: for typo

Last edited:
Pushing stick to right rolls right unless you are initiating a snap roll?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back