P-47... Origins of the nickname "The Jug"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Good discussion guys. Thank you.

Seems like I am still right where I started! :cool:

In all cases...it was a "Jug"
In the 1940s, in the US, milk came in glass bottles. They were not called "jugs". What did come in a "jug", in that era, was moonshine whiskey, often portrayed in then contemporary culture, as being consumed from an earthenware "jug".

In the 1940s, in the US, milk came in glass bottles. They were not called "jugs". What did come in a "jug", in that era, was moonshine whiskey, often portrayed in then contemporary culture, as being consumed from an earthenware "jug".
Milk was collected from farms in metal containers called jugs, big round silver things, they only needed an ironing board pushed through them to look like a fighter plane.

Last edited:
Several types had names that were less than gratifying like the F4U which was known as the "ensign eliminator" because of it's complicated landing characteristics.

Another type was the B-26, which earned the nicknames of "widowmaker" and "Baltimore Whore" due to the high frequencies of accidents in the early model.

One of my favorites, by the way, is for the cold-war era Douglas A3D, often called the "Whistling Sh*tcan" :lol:

There's more, but this points out that if there was an issue with the type, Yankee pilots weren't going to call it anything romantic, that's for sure!

I read long ago the"Jug" name referenced a popular song ( by Glenn Miller I think ) that had a lyric that talked about a " little brown jug" . I never really believed that though. Nothing about the P-47 was little...
The most disparaging name ( actually word play on its designation..) was for the US Navy five bomber the SB2C. A friends father who was a former USN aircraft mechanic told me only semi jokingly that it stood for "Son of a Bitch Second Class" ! He had mean things to say about the first variant, but did say the second ones were a bit better. Still, he said you had to ride heard on them constantly, especially in diving or landing.

Milk was collected from farms in metal containers called jugs, big round silver things, they only needed an ironing board pushed through them to look like a fighter plane.

True about the metal containers, but they were known as "milk cans" in the US, not jugs. In the UK, I believe they were referred to as "milk churns" and / or "milk urns".
aluminum-milk-cans-old-wagon-wooden-barrels-109967723.jpg

True about the metal containers, but they were known as "milk cans" in the US, not jugs. In the UK, I believe they were referred to as "milk churns" and / or "milk urns".View attachment 598453
Americans were known to call many things a "jug" back then.
Aside from a crockware whiskey container, things such as glass bottles, air-cooled engine cylinders, a certain part of the female anatomy, metal cans and even a foolish person (jughead).
The list goes on, but Americans have always been notorious for colloquialisms.

Americans were known to call many things a "jug" back then.
Aside from a crockware whiskey container, things such as glass bottles, air-cooled engine cylinders, a certain part of the female anatomy, metal cans and even a foolish person (jughead).
The list goes on, but Americans have always been notorious for colloquialisms.
It is thought that the origin of the word came from the whole anatomy. From Wiki The word jug is first recorded in the late 15th century as jugge or jubbe. It is of unknown origin, but perhaps comes from jug a term for a maidservant, in the same period. This in turn comes from the alteration of common personal names such as Joan or Judith.[1]

Several types had names that were less than gratifying like the F4U which was known as the "ensign eliminator" because of it's complicated landing characteristics.

Another type was the B-26, which earned the nicknames of "widowmaker" and "Baltimore Whore" due to the high frequencies of accidents in the early model.

One of my favorites, by the way, is for the cold-war era Douglas A3D, often called the "Whistling Sh*tcan" :lol:

There's more, but this points out that if there was an issue with the type, Yankee pilots weren't going to call it anything romantic, that's for sure!

I've always loved the emboldened nick -- "because it had no visible means of support."

That sounds like honest GI humor at work right there.

Simple really the use of Jug came about because
Abdul Alf Ann Babs Baka Belle Ben Bess Betty Bob Buzzard
Cedar Cherry Clara Claude Clint Cypress Dave Dick Dinah Edna
Emily Eva Eve Fran Francis Frank Gander George …. right through
to Zeke were already used.

It was either Jug or bottle. I think the right one was chosen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back