P-47... Origins of the nickname "The Jug" (1 Viewer)

Did the Germans or Japanese invent nicknames for their planes? There's Emil, Fritz and Gustav for the Bf-109 E, F and G; IJN cadets named their trainer the "Red Dragonfly," but other than that I haven't found any examples..
Ju52 - "Tante Ju" (auntie Ju)
Bf109G-6 - "Die Beule" (the bump)

There's more, these are just off the top of my head as I finish my coffee...
 
Did the Germans or Japanese invent nicknames for their planes? There's Emil, Fritz and Gustav for the Bf-109 E, F and G; IJN cadets named their trainer the "Red Dragonfly," but other than that I haven't found any examples..
Many had names, similar to the allies, Condor, Falcon (Falke) , Swallow (Schwalbe), Lightning (blitz) Viper/Adder (Nadder/Natter) Schrike or butcher bird (Wurger)
 
Last edited:
On the US Navy side, the Douglas Dauntless, or SBD, was called "Slow, But Deadly". The Curtiss Helldiver, SB2C, was know as the "Son of a Bit_h 2nd Class".
 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back