P-47N Thunderbolt vs. F4U-4 Corsair - Which was superior?

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Sorry being an old cynical bastard, but
- Name of the "Uncle" is not revealed. In his place I would say it in every post in bold letters.
- No unit or rank is revealed.
-"Nazi people whose homes and belongings they seized for war reparations"
I think it did not work that way, unless you are talking about looting.
my uncle Cpt Joe Hilsman was in April 1945 a Thompson carrying MD with 5th Rangers,

Great info, thank you. Your pics look like a 2-seat P51 that dad an uncle are in. I see other discussion about 2-seat mustangs on another post in this thread. I don't know about other nations' use of P51 and mod to 2-seater. I have read the USA made a TP/TF-51D that was a trainier. Do you know the background of the 2-seater in your pics?
I do - the P-51D-5-NA 44-14434 OSZ Maria was belly landed. Sent to Service Group Hanger and modified for two place.

The primary changes were to remove the 85 gallon fuselage tank, Install a standard P-51 seat, provide for oxygen mask connector and valve to obtain O2 from tanks, Cut Canopy in two and attach latch as well as release for aft canopy section. Anecdotally, this was a 'bootleg/after hours project' and I do not have the engineering records for 355th FG to confirm 1st flight date - but March 1945 is approximate.
The first two seat conversion was also performed on a WW 357FS P-51B 43-6 OD-D. It had a Malcom Hood back seat and used for Clobber College intro to ETO ops for relacement pilots.

Attachments

• 357 OSDsquare 43-6806_two seat conversion_Gresham [randall].jpg
    357 OSDsquare 43-6806_two seat conversion_Gresham [randall].jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 14
  • 357 OSZ Maria_10sep1944 [kyburz-randall].jpg
    357 OSZ Maria_10sep1944 [kyburz-randall].jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 14
Sorry being an old cynical bastard, but
- Name of the "Uncle" is not revealed. In his place I would say it in every post in bold letters.
- No unit or rank is revealed.
-"Nazi people whose homes and belongings they seized for war reparations"
I think it did not work that way, unless you are talking about looting.

I may have gotten Dachau confused with Buchenwald - but maybe one of us was confused when he interviewd for the article.

He was at Vanderbilt U at same time as my father, although they did not meet until 1945, two years afer my father married his youngest sister.

I stated Cpt, 5th Rangers. Attached is his picture. Note railroad trcks on shoulder, Ranger patch upper left arm

He didn't speak of 'picking up' souveniers or reparations, but he still had an MG 42 and MP 44 and two Lugers and a Walther that he smuggled home. Still had them last time I saw him in 1996. I was not overly close to my cousins but I loved him.

Attachments

• 355fg 5th Ranger visitor_Hilsman_Gablingen_June1945 [marshal.jpg
    355fg 5th Ranger visitor_Hilsman_Gablingen_June1945 [marshal.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:
I'm curious which of these were better in the air to air role and why.
The Corsair could engage in air combat anywhere on earth, including almost anywhere on the 70 percent of the planet's surface covered by water!
The P-47could not, of course, although I knew a former F-8 Crusader pilot who enjoyed making unusual models. They included a carrier-capable razorback T-Bolt!

I may have gotten Dachau confused with Buchenwald - but maybe one of us was confused when he interviewd for the article.

He was at Vanderbilt U at same time as my father, although they did not meet until 1945, two years afer my father married his youngest sister.

I stated Cpt, 5th Rangers. Attached is his picture. Note railroad trcks on shoulder, Ranger patch upper left arm

He didn't speak of 'picking up' souveniers or reparations, but he still had an MG 42 and MP 44 and two Lugers and a Walther that he smuggled home. Still had them last time I saw him in 1996. I was not overly close to my cousins but I loved him.
Bill, a few sidebars:

In 1964 during a cross-country train trip (I was much younger then) I struck up a conversation with a D-Day vet on or about the 20th anniversary. He said throughout training "they" were told that We have The Best of Everything. "I believed that up to the high tide mark on Omaha Beach where I realized our MGs went rat-a-tat and theirs went BRRRRRRT.

I have some trigger time on a coupla 42s. Bipod technique matters for dispersion downrange. The 1200 rpm cyclic was one reason why German infantry squads were the reverse of ours: We used MGs to support the riflemen. They used riflemen to support the MGs--according to competent sources.
BUT
The MP.44 (aka "Schmeisser") remains well up my Ballistic Bucket List.

Bill, a few sidebars:

In 1964 during a cross-country train trip (I was much younger then) I struck up a conversation with a D-Day vet on or about the 20th anniversary. He said throughout training "they" were told that We have The Best of Everything. "I believed that up to the high tide mark on Omaha Beach where I realized our MGs went rat-a-tat and theirs went BRRRRRRT.

I have some trigger time on a coupla 42s. Bipod technique matters for dispersion downrange. The 1200 rpm cyclic was one reason why German infantry squads were the reverse of ours: We used MGs to support the riflemen. They used riflemen to support the MGs--according to competent sources.
BUT
I never fired either but do have time on M2 and the MG42 knock off - the M-60. IIRC the ROF for the M-60 was about 1/2 MG42.

Barrett, there are dealers all over te country that spnsor 'shoot a thons' with various automatic weapons (you have to buy the ammo from them of course). Offhand I don't know the names of the events but they are nomally arond the beginning of hunting season.

Perhaps an interesting anecdote about my uncle Joe. He mentioned that the "Ranger Brotherhood" extended to patching up some of his friends that couldn't go to a hospital for gunshot wounds - and Never agonized over whether he was doing the right thing, He knew what the 'right thing' was.

I had a friend, J. Curtiss Earle, in Phoenix, AZ who was an automatic arms dealer. We shot an MG42 once when he took it out for a prospective buyer to shoot. I got to try it for two bursts. It was very easy to hit something a log way off and the rate of fire was high compared with most MGs I have heard. My friend had maybe 10 different MGs out that day.

After the day was over, I wasn't so sure a high rate of fire was the best option. It seemed to me the better option was a slower rate of fire and take your time to hit the target. Yes, the higher rate of fire could put more ammo on target, but it also puts more ammo off target if you miss and the slower rate of fire made the magazines or ammo boxes for crew-served unit last longer. Lasting longer gives the crew or the gunner a bit of time to arrange things so the reload was faster and easier.

It made me realize that a high rate of fire has both plus and minus effects. I'm pretty sure rate of fire is much more important for a fighter aircraft than for an infantry gunner, if only because getting a few hits on a moving, jinking airplane is one place where rate of fire makes a large difference.

Bill, a few sidebars:

BUT
As I understand it, the Germans on D-Day ran out of ammunition on their rapid firing MGs despite being in defensive positions with a lot of ammunition. A soldier assaulting from a boat would run out even quicker since they only had what was carried.

We were allowed to fire the BAR, M-14 (not full auto-causes excessive barrel wear) and the M-60. My favorite is the BAR, chunka-chunka-chunka, because it goes right where you point it. They all used the same ammo as my assigned M-1 Garand.

I heard the same, That said, a LOT of rounds 'connected' at Omaha Beach.

My American grandfather was a combat engineer who landed on Omaha.

I've been to Normandy several times (including the 50th anniversary). The cemetery at Omaha is one of the most solemn places I have ever visited. I hope to take my sons there one day so they can see it themselves.

Pics I took at the cemetery on our last visit.

IMG_9973.jpeg
IMG_9974.jpeg
IMG_9975.jpeg
IMG_9976.jpeg

The D-Day invasion and subsequent Normandy Campaign was a meat grinder for all sides. One of my wife's grandfather's brothers fell in Normandy and is buried at one of the German cemeteries there. He lost several brothers on the East Front as well, but they are still missing.

This is his grave in Normandy. We laid some flowers for her Grandfather.

IMG_9977.jpeg

We were allowed to fire the BAR, M-14 (not full auto-causes excessive barrel wear) and the M-60. My favorite is the BAR, chunka-chunka-chunka, because it goes right where you point it. They all used the same ammo as my assigned M-1 Garand.
I agree BAR. Loved to shoot it, but carry it? not so much. I also liked the M-14 better than the Mouse Gun.

I actually liked the M-1 best. 12 rounds lighter and I never screwed up my thumb. Have one in 7.62x51 but my eyes are not up to the accuracy it is capable of. I reloaded and got <1 to1 1/2" groups when I was 50.. lucky to get three now. Think the pacemaker is the problem more than the wyes.

As I understand it, the Germans on D-Day ran out of ammunition on their rapid firing MGs despite being in defensive positions with a lot of ammunition. A soldier assaulting from a boat would run out even quicker since they only had what was carried.
I don't know how true it is but I've read of one MG42 gunner who shot off 12,000 rounds during the D day landings, they would have needed barrels as well as ammo, again I don't know how true it is but wooden practise rounds were in the belts also.

I don't know how true it is but I've read of one MG42 gunner who shot off 12,000 rounds during the D day landings, they would have needed barrels as well as ammo, again I don't know how true it is but wooden practise rounds were in the belts also.
I saw a documentary that involved an interview with a German gunner from a beach "pill box" they ran out of barrels and ammunition and the support crews were knackered carrying barrels ammunition and water to cool the barrels. The pill box itself was full of spent cases.

I saw a documentary that involved an interview with a German gunner from a beach "pill box" they ran out of barrels and ammunition and the support crews were knackered carrying barrels ammunition and water to cool the barrels. The pill box itself was full of spent cases.
We can't imagine what either side experienced on that day.

Interestingly (?) my uncle Cpt Joe Hilsman was in April 1945 a Thompson carrying MD with 5th Rangers, when they 'liberated' Dachau. They were, according to him, so horrified that they rounded up all remaining SS in the camp and shot them. He mentioned to me his regret afterwards because he suspected the really bad actors had 'departed in Haste' as Pattons forces were closing in.

Joe Hilsman was one of the most prominent 'Gut man' at Piedmont Hospital in Atlanta and continued as a consultant until he was in his 90's.

The images below are around Gablingen post VE Day when my father was 355th CO and both he and his brother in law were about to come home.
Circa Sept 1945. 5th Ranger Btn was nearby.

I'm not exactly sure what the dress code of the day was in front of 5th Rangers, but it would have difficult to identify my father as a Group Commander or have a clue regarding who was suppsed to salute first.

The image with dad in cockpit has Joe about to climb in, then he next shot is on taxi way

View attachment 738217View attachment 738216View attachment 738218View attachment 738219
Uncle Joe has liberated himself a very nice German Barnac Leica in that top photo!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back