P-51 Gun Cameras

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alte Hase

Airman 1st Class
Sep 25, 2011
Hi all,

Quick question- I have noticed that some P-51s had a round gun camera opening, while others had a slightly larger, square opening.The gun camera was situated in the left wing leading edge, close to the wing/body join, but I'm curious as to why the shapes of the camera openings differed?

According to the reference source I have the Mustang Mk I had the W-7-B gun camera, the P-51-1 and the A-36A had the N-1 gun camera, the P-51A the N-4, the P-51 B/C the N-1, the P-51D/K the N-4 and N-6, and the P-51H the N-6.

I have what I believe to be an N-6 gun camera (I seem to have misplaced the P-51 that I must have bought with it, but I'll have to check my hangar at the airport again). I am am aware they made a similar type of gun camera but with the lens coming out a 90 deg angle as compared to the one I have; a friend of mine has one of those, I think.

It is likely that the differences in gun camera ports is related to the model of camera used, since there were at least 5 different models used.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back