P-51 internal fuel capacity (how?)

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Hi Dave:

I agree with that assessment! I'd put the widespread conversion to 150 grade fuel and increase of boost at mid June 1944 though.

I believe intro to 8th AF for test was June-july.. I do know that 355th didn't recieve any until early September - and two engine failures on take off almost immediately - under MP @3000 and 67" - both D-5 Mustangs.

Sorry Bill, the evidence for June 44 is overwhelming and incontrovertible. Please refer to: 100/150 Grade Fuel. Don't read more into those two engine failures than is there.

150-fuel-13-june44-b.jpg

Which fighters used internal wing tanks? The P-51 and P-38 have already been mentioned. I also know of the Reggiane Re.2000-2005 ... but anything else?

Kris

Focke-Wulf Ta 152H

I forget if the Ta 152C also had internal wing tanks, but since it was never operational, this point is probably moot.

here's a few...

Seafury
P-40 (slightly inside the wing)
D 520
Ki-43 /84
Beaufighter
Typhoon
Mig-3
Mosquito
Me-163
La's Yak's

Mike - i'm at the 2009 reunion at Tcson. Two crew chiefs validated delivery to 355th in late June/July 1944

Hi Bill:

Thanks for checking with those fellows. I salute them. Their recollection fits with the established time line. You're familiar with this material but the other members may find it of interest. It puts things into perspective fairly well.

361st-24june44.jpg

359th-150grade-1jul44.jpg

Headquarters Eighth Air Force, Use of 100/150 Grade Fuel by Eighth Air Force

Users who are viewing this thread

Back