P 51 Mustang vs Mosquito? (1 Viewer)

Mosquito or p51

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Blitzrockie

Airman
Jul 19, 2016
P 51 vs Mosquito?
If these planes were engage each other who would win?

Apples to Zucchini I think! OK, maybe not that far.

If you want to compare the Mosquito to something, compare it to something similar, like another 2 engine plane that served similar roles. The P-38 or Bf-110 just to name a couple.

I do agree that the Mustang was a day fighter and the Mosquito was a night flyer but Mosquitos can't go into a tropical climate, they break down midair.So a Mustang just can't operate at night, Mosquitos can't be in a tropical climate.

An Mosquito can't go into a tropical climate because it's not good for the wood that they are made of.

I do agree that the Mustang was a day fighter and the Mosquito was a night flyer but Mosquitos can't go into a tropical climate, they break down midair.So a Mustang just can't operate at night, Mosquitos can't be in a tropical climate.
The mosquito was a bomber, fighter bomber PR and night fighter. I read one account where a bomber variant evaded a FW 19by going into a shallow dive, at high speed the mosquito had more control and the FW couldnt get a shot in and eventually the mosquito cruised away.

Yep, the adhesive used on the Mosquito was, at first, unsuited to high humidity areas, but they DID NOT 'break down mid air', or fall apart, or suffer any other serious defect, other than some 'mould' and slight delamination in some areas , within the adhesive.
This was very soon cured, in production, by a change of adhesive formula, and Mosquitos continued to operate in the Far East until long after WW2.
As has been hinted at, comparing a Mustang with a Mosquito is like comparing apples to oranges - two very different types of aircraft, with differing, although sometimes complimentary, roles.

Oddly enough, according to Lee Atwood of North American Aviation these are the only two significant aircraft of WW2 that had properly designed and fully functional use of Meredith Effect cooling systems.

Mustangs could and did operate at night. RAF tactical recon Mustangs I and IA (the ones with Allison engines) operated in all weathers and late into the night. Basically if it can fly and can land it can do it at night as well as day.

The Mosquito falling apart in the East myth will not die even when burnt alive by the truth. The RAAF and RAF both used them very succesfully in the East and the RAF still had some flying as target tugs out of Singapore as late as the early 1950s.

Here we go again...:rolleyes:

Wood structures are hard to maintain and are susceptible to swelling and shrinkage depending on climate and environment, in in my broken record stamen - I know this from experience!!! They are harder to repair and inspect and when they fail structurally, it could be catastrophic, even today.

Pilot Lee Behel Killed At Reno Air Races In One-Of-A-Kind Aircraft

A wood combat aircraft will be essentially a "throw away" weapon and although some were around into the mid 50s (IAF used them till 1957 and those were later models), many post war operators probably with the exception of the IAF roles placed minimum stress on the airframes (target tugs).

When one discusses this, look at when these post war Mosquitoes were built, where they were operated and for how long. The IAF had issues with them.

the mosquito in israeli service

When one discusses this, look at when these post war Mosquitoes were built, where they were operated and for how long. The IAF had issues with them.

the mosquito in israeli service

The Israeli Mossies were 3rd hand when the Israelis got hold of them they had had a hard life already. The FBIV s had been used by the RAF then refurbished and sold to the French who used them against the Viet Minh who then sold them to the Israelis who used them until 1956. When they would have been at least 11 years old. Not bad for an aircraft that DeHavilland only expected to last 6 months or so.

[2.0] Mosquito In Service / Foreign Users

The Israeli Mossies were 3rd hand when the Israelis got hold of them they had had a hard life already. The FBIV s had been used by the RAF then refurbished and sold to the French who used them against the Viet Minh who then sold them to the Israelis who used them until 1956. When they would have been at least 11 years old. Not bad for an aircraft that DeHavilland only expected to last 6 months or so.

[2.0] Mosquito In Service / Foreign Users

The Mosquito was an excellent aircraft, but these were the exception and they still had issues.

"The Mk. VI was also involved in a large number of accidents which resulted in 14 Mosquito crew fatalities. On August 8th 1953 a Mosquito was lost during night bombing practice, the pilot apparently suffering from vertigo and crashing into the Mediterranean. Another Mosquito was lost the following day when it hit the sea during the search for the first missing Mosquito. The crashed aircraft were only located in the late 1990s. The accidents usually resulted from poor maintenance of the aircraft, as well as from the havoc wrecked by the Mediterranean weather."

The Mosquito was an excellent aircraft, but these were the exception and they still had issues.

"The Mk. VI was also involved in a large number of accidents which resulted in 14 Mosquito crew fatalities. On August 8th 1953 a Mosquito was lost during night bombing practice, the pilot apparently suffering from vertigo and crashing into the Mediterranean. Another Mosquito was lost the following day when it hit the sea during the search for the first missing Mosquito. The crashed aircraft were only located in the late 1990s. The accidents usually resulted from poor maintenance of the aircraft, as well as from the havoc wrecked by the Mediterranean weather.

Wood structures are hard to maintain and are susceptible to swelling and shrinkage depending on climate and environment, in in my broken record stamen - I know this from experience!!! They are harder to repair and inspect and when they fail structurally, it could be catastrophic, even today.

Pilot Lee Behel Killed At Reno Air Races In One-Of-A-Kind Aircraft

A wood combat aircraft will be essentially a "throw away" weapon and although some were around into the mid 50s (IAF used them till 1957 and those were later models), many post war operators probably with the exception of the IAF roles placed minimum stress on the airframes (target tugs).

"
Wooden structures may be harder to maintain but the Mosquito was a WW2 combat aircraft, how many ww2 aircraft in front line service had an engine(s) with 2 major overhauls? The record for bomber missions was a mosquito F Freddie with 213 missions. Personally, as a Brit. I dont mind people advancing the argument while saying it is a combination of temperature and humidity, simply saying humidity is ridiculous, in the UK we spend so much time in the rain some of us have webbed feet, Never order soup while sat outside in the UK it may take you a week to finish it.

Poor maintenance cannot be the fault of the aircraft, I dont know how you can establish a cause of crash as poor maintenance when the one crash mentioned specifically states pilot error and the second aircraft is reported as hitting the sea looking for it..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back