P-51 vs. Hellcat

P-51 vs. Hellcat

• Total voters

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

with the hellcat being a lot heavier than the mustang and it has a 2000 hp engine i would have thought that it could out dive about anything like the P-47. so what am i missing

with the hellcat being a lot heavier than the mustang and it has a 2000 hp engine i would have thought that it could out dive about anything like the P-47. so what am i missing

Being heavy certainly helps a plane's diving ability, but aerodynamics also plays a big role...these planes would probably do well over 500 mph in a dive, so aerodynamics is huge! This is why the Mustang would outdive many of the heavier fighters of the time...

I highly doubt the Hellcat could outdive a Mustang...I think the only plane that could was the P-47...I also doubt the hellcat could outturn the Mustang at any altitude as it was considerably bigger and heavier than the 'Stang...the only area where it could possibly hang with the P-51 would be in roll rate...

It also had 42% more wing area.

I believe that the F6F was noted for its turning ability and the P-51 not so much.

I believe that the F6F was noted for its turning ability and the P-51 not so much

Possibly more correct to say it was a good turner at higher speeds, but its higher speeds were moderate speeds for the P-51.

At low speeds, neither was a particualarly good turning aircraft. The problem for the hellcat is that its spped ranges were much more restrictive than the P-51s speed envelope.

Head to head Mustang has the advantage but if I had to deliver ground ordnance Hellcat is a better choice. Much more rugged and probably the easiest single engine fighter to fly.

Performance wise the Hellcat is probably more equal to an Allison power Mustang. The improved Hellcat is probably a better match for the Merlin Mustang, it called the Bearcat, albeit a little late to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back