P-51B/C Mustang

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

compyelc4

Airman
Jan 4, 2009
Dayton, Ohio
I would like to know the color of the wheel bays on a P-51 B/C. I have a pre-built model of a "C" I believe with "Princess" nose art and tail no. 2103896. It has flat black bays. I would think they would be zinc chromate as in the P-51D. Does anyone know? Also, might you know if the insides of the inboard and outboard landing gear doors are aluminum in color?

Thank you very much.

I believe the insides would be either the zinc chromate or interior green. I believe a member posted some pictures in the modeling section, but since the reorganization of it I'm not sure where it went. I will attempt to find them.

Also look around the technical section.You can find there some similar threads about it.

The P51 wheel bays were, like the inside faces of the undercarriage doors, bare aluminium, with a protective coat of clear varnish. The front face of the main spar, which formed the rear wall of the wheel bay, was Zinc Chromate, Yellow.
Those pics showing green, Interior Green or Grey bays, are normally of restored aircraft, where the owner, quite naturally, wants some form of protective coating on his valuable bird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back