P-51D "Creamer's Dream"

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

I would think that a couple coats of paint sprayed and lightly sanded would do a fine job of filling the panel lines?

Hi,
many thanks for all your suggestions.
One more question if you don't mind.
Elevators: should they be metal or canvas covered?
I already done the metal ones but I can easily replace them.
Many thanks again
Alberto

First - it depends on -number of the Mustang for production change from fabric to metal elevators. The P-51D-20-NA at 44-63560 and P-51D-25-NA at 44-72627 had them installed on the line. The last D-20-NA w/o metal elevator was 44-72626, which was the last D-20 before the first D-25 (44-72627). I would be careful showing fabric for the D-20's, however because they were almost certainly modified at an Air Depot before deployment to combat operations.

That said, all fabric covered elevators were retro fitted in the field.

That said, the period represented and the dates could show fabric through November/December for all P-51D-5, D-10 and D-20's (lower tail number than 44-63560 or 44-72627)

If you see the early P-51D-5 w/o DFF you can be certain it was a fabric version.. or any period picture from May 1944 through December 1944 you can safely portray fabric.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back