P-70 cockpit interior

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

mikesierra

Recruit
Dec 7, 2020
Hy Guys,
This is my first in this Forum; First of all I would like to wish you a marry post Christmas day.
I am planning to build a P-70; I have Matchbox kit in my stash and I am making uo my mind on it. There is quite a work to try to keep out something accetable to today standards.
I am collecting some information to try to improve the inside details of the two cockpits. If there are pictures and photos of the pilot one, I have difficults to find something for the rear cockpit, expecially for the P-70 version. Have you any iformation where I can get some references of the P-70 rear cockpit?
On the other side I could buy the Revell option that gives quite all the details I am looking for, but it seems something more "shake and bake"
Maybe that I am posting in the wrong place, I am quite new to the forum.
Many thanks in advance
Mike Sierra

Many thanks for the information.
They increase my files. I am wondering if it could be avaiable something that gives an idea how the electronic devices were arranged in the rear cockpit of the P-70.
I imagine that the rear operator was focused on a kind of screen to find out were was the boggy and give the right indications to the pilot to catch it.
The matchbox kit is completly empty and I am arranging some sketches to be able to scratch build some details.

Mike,
May I also welcome you to this forum. I too, am a modeler & currently super-detailing a Guillow's P-51. You can find my build in the modeling section. I'm curious as for two things: you mentioned Matchbox & Revell as your kits. My guess they're both 1/72nd scale. With that said: 1) are you going to open up the fuselage like a display for all to see or leave it completely closed? 2) If closed, why the wiring if no one is going to see them?
Gary

Many thanks for the information.
They increase my files. I am wondering if it could be avaiable something that gives an idea how the electronic devices were arranged in the rear cockpit of the P-70.
I imagine that the rear operator was focused on a kind of screen to find out were was the boggy and give the right indications to the pilot to catch it.
The matchbox kit is completely empty and I am arranging some sketches to be able to scratch build some details.

Now that raises some interesting questions that I had never thought of. How did the US night fighters radar operators tell the pilot where to go? Interphone? Or did they use a left/right switch and gauge like the Brits did on bombers for the bomb aimer to guide the pilot?

My apologies for being partly off topic

Welcome to the forum, great bunch of helpful guys here. Keep us posted on the info you find and on your build. Open up a WIP on the model page. My dad is currently restoring an A-20G for the Pima Air Museum so if you're going to detail the landing gear let me know if you need pics. Cheers and enjoy the build.

Hawkeye:
Your dad is helping to restore an A-20 at Pima? I tried to schedule a visit to Pima last year to photograph aircraft in detail on behalf of the San Diego Aerospace Museum but was detoured by COVID. Can you/your dad help get me to the right contact? If I go, it'll probably be in 2021 around Spring or early Summer. Gary

Hi Guys, Happy New Year fom Lake Como.
About the kit: I decied to give a go to the Matchbox kit which is 1/72 scale. The "new" Revell kit seems to be a reboxing of the MPM famely, which are fine with more inside detals. but I would have to wait a while because no of my usual shops have it in stock now.
My intentention is to leave the rear cockpit open. The present lacks any detail, so I was looking to find something to put inside.
Good suggestions are given by Dr. Paul Budzik on yuotube -"building AMT Douglas A20".
Surfing in the web I found this, it is not too much, but gives a general idea of how was the arrangement of the rear cockpit.
SCR-540.jpg

How the rear guy comunicate with the pilot? probably by interphone or there was a kind of repeter of the radar scope in the fron dash board, I think.
Anyone has other suggestions
Mike

Hawkeye:
Your dad is helping to restore an A-20 at Pima? I tried to schedule a visit to Pima last year to photograph aircraft in detail on behalf of the San Diego Aerospace Museum but was detoured by COVID. Can you/your dad help get me to the right contact? If I go, it'll probably be in 2021 around Spring or early Summer. Gary
Dad is in charge of restoration. I'll see if he has any ideas on who to contact.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back