P&W R2800 for the Corsair F4U

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

findlayma

Recruit
Jan 17, 2007
In the process of locating an old Pratt Whitney R-2800 Double Wasp It is a two-row, 18-cylinder, air-cooled radial design. Displacement was 2,804 cubic inches (46 liters); bore and stroke were 5.75" and 6".

Need maintenance and overhaul manuals. Does anyone know where I could obtain them for small money. There is on ebay someone selling a DVD with almost every R2800 engine ever built but they want $385 for the DVD.

twoeagles... Your comment is valid. An Overhauled R2800-CB3 cost between $68K and $75K. And that's without Carb., Oil Cooler, etc. The R2800 we're looking at should cost about $2K but will need an overhaul to become flightworthy. The ultimate goal is to put the engine into a F4U airframe. We haven't found a low cost partial F4U project yet either. Most people with partially built airframes are asking anywhere from $395K to $750K depending on percentage (re)built. Hopefully, you're starting to see why I'm spending as little as possible here at the beginning of our project.

FLYBYJ.... Thanks for the lead... I'll see what his price is.

There is at least one and probably more partial Corsair airframes at Chino, CA. Not sure if they're for sale, but I assume so.

twoeagles... Your comment is valid. An Overhauled R2800-CB3 cost between $68K and $75K. And that's without Carb., Oil Cooler, etc. The R2800 we're looking at should cost about $2K but will need an overhaul to become flightworthy. The ultimate goal is to put the engine into a F4U airframe. We haven't found a low cost partial F4U project yet either. Most people with partially built airframes are asking anywhere from $395K to $750K depending on percentage (re)built. Hopefully, you're starting to see why I'm spending as little as possible here at the beginning of our project.

FLYBYJ.... Thanks for the lead... I'll see what his price is.

Hey Dale :)

I thought you might be here somewhere. I'm excited about the project :)

Kevin B in Va Beach,

Users who are viewing this thread

Back