P47 Thunderbolt Seat.

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ridge Runner

Airman
Jan 28, 2009
Dorset
Here is a few close up shots of the stamps, one is found on the small lever on the lower left, one on the top capping piece and some stamps on the brackets designed to accept the tubes when sliding on the seat to the mounting tubes.

Attachments

• P47 (23).jpg
    P47 (23).jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 76
  • P47 (21).jpg
    P47 (21).jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 69
  • P47 (22).jpg
    P47 (22).jpg
    185.1 KB · Views: 54
  • P47 (24).jpg
    P47 (24).jpg
    136.4 KB · Views: 77
I think you have a P-51 seat or a seat from a B-25. The round stamp with the "N" in the center is from North Amreican Aviation. The "HT" is a heat treat stamp.

image377.gif

image232.gif

Looking at the pics of the actual seat, it does look more like one from a P51B/C, which was a different shape to the later, two part pressed metal dished seat of the 'D' model. The remains of the tubes on the top add to this thought, as they would support the the vertical, height adjusting tubes.

The part numbers match a P-51C if the 3rd one down is a "108." There is a hole through the part number. We may be dealing with two wrecks at the same site based on Jim's other pics.

Joe
annoyingly, the one bit we need to see is blurry out of focus but it looks like

ANH
7##

which links it to Rockwell (which is/was North American) but the name-change didn't come about until 1973; the stamp itself is only linked to the T2 and OV-10.

If I'm right, it's North American kit but it didn't see WWII service.

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps

I think it reads ANA. It could also be a dirivative Heat Treat stamp.

That site is a wealth of info but there are some suttle errors there and that ANH stamp might of been around a lot earlier.

Flyboy, excellent work, I've been thumbing through my reference books and the seat design looks very much like a P51 B/C type with the high back etc, again thanks, the French guys father was obviously dismantling a P51, not a P47 as lead to believe, maybe the razor back made him think it was a 47. Anyway I guess its all lost in the mists of time.

Joe
annoyingly, the one bit we need to see is blurry out of focus but it looks like

ANH
7##

which links it to Rockwell (which is/was North American) but the name-change didn't come about until 1973; the stamp itself is only linked to the T2 and OV-10.

If I'm right, it's North American kit but it didn't see WWII service.

Aviation Archaeology - Aircraft Inspection Stamps

With all respect Collin, I've got this seat sitting right in front of me and the wear and age definitely pre date the 1970's, I've been involved with WW2 aircraft equipment for 20 years and it says WW2 to me, again thank you for
your research.

Regards Jim..

Thanks Airframes, on doing some research it does look like it is from a P51B/C, which makes it a rare piece of kit.

Glad to offer the right suggestion Jim. It certainly is a rather rare piece of kit. I can't promise, but I might still have a photo somewhere of a P51B/C seat, which I used when building a model some time ago. If it helps, the seat in the model is the same as the one in your pic, and those other pics I did have, in a book loaned to Grau Geist, show the same top part shape.
Although it would be wrong to say categorically that it's a Mustang B/C seat until proven, I really do believe that is what you have there. It would be interesting to discover which aircraft, when, how etc.
Good luck with the rest of your search, and try to keep us updated.
Terry.

Thanks Terry, I've been intrested in WW2 Aircraft for a long as I can remember. I happened to chance stumble across the seat on Mil web. I emailed the French guy who had no real history about the seat other than his father acquired it from Normandy during the war and claimed it to be P47, when he sent me some pics I thought definitely WW2 American from the base section with the lightning holes, but the high back didn't look P47. It was reasonably priced so I though gotta have this for the collection! If it is P51B/C that makes it seriously rare and desirable, to the restoration market. At the moment I'm happy to sit on this one! Its great modeling reference, I have always wondered how those lap straps looked and now I've got a real pear right in front of me, and as for the paint reference, interior green, spot on!

The info from Colin is interesting, but I'm hoping he's wrong, as you say not all of the info is 100% correct, and may be not the bible. From doing some research it seems to tie up with P51B design.

The info from Colin is interesting, but I'm hoping he's wrong
Hey dude, me too
I just think it's as well to consider all the possibilities, however disappointing.
I can't believe how hard it is to find a picture of a seat! I came up on some resin seats (for modellers) but I'm a little reluctant to submit those as definitive - unless you want to see them. They're described as 'late' P-51B/C seats and I must admit the (resin) seats for the 'early' P-51B/C do look different.

Just one thing on the colour, Jim. It may not be Interior Green, and it looks darker than that shade in the pics posted. The P51 seats, according to info I have, were painted either Medium Green (or Bronze Green), or Olive Drab.
Whatever the colour, you've got a beaut there! And it is nice to see the details of the harness lap straps also.
Terry.

Just remember, those colors are based on factory paint. Once out in the field zinc chromate out of a can goes on a lot different and many times carries different shades.

Interesting observation Terry.
It also appears the four attachment guides for the mounting tubes, were painted, zinc chromate yellow and fitted after the seat had received its first coat of the light cockpit green. Them at some point, it was painted the darker green (which has flaked off heavily). The attachment points for the lap straps were red and got the green treatment. The small lever on the lower left is bronze green. All good stuff!
Jim...

With you on that one Flyboy.
That the shades must have varied according to what the guys were mixing in their paints. As I say that darker green seems to be low quality and has flaked badly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back