P51B Mustang :Turning an old aquarium into a diorama

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Ok, I'm back up and running. Photos to follow tomorrow. I've started drilling holes in the wheels so that I can insert very thin wire. Since the the probability that this will be moved a bit after its sealed is very high, I add anchor wire to both landing gear tires and also to the feet of all the crew and accessories. Corresponding holes are drilled into the base that go through the bottom of the aquarium. Once adhesives are set, there are no worries that anything will break loose. I've painted the fuel drum and added a wash clothe with the water bucket. I also cleaned up the painting on the three figures that will be added.

For the cover I inverted the aquarium over a piece of Plexiglas and lightly scratched the outline of the top it will sit upon. I then used a metal straight edge and the back of a number 11 blade to scratch deep lines along the ones I drew. The scratches should be very deep and in a straight line from one edge of the Plexiglas to the other. Then place over end of a table and with one hand flat on the part you're keeping and the other on the part to be removed hanging over the edge, scratch side up, quickly push downward and there should be a clean break. If not don't despair. You can use pliers to grasp the small bit that might remain and snap those off. Anything left an be sanded smooth.

20190120_171459(1).jpg
20190120_175746(1).jpg
20190120_171528(1).jpg
20190120_182714(1).jpg

More to come as progress is made.

Sorry to keep everyone waiting. Had an exam to prepare for and no time for anything else. Now to finish this. To make the top of the case, I put the aquarium upside down and scratched around the outline of the aquarium onto the plexiglass. Then, taking a #11 knife, scribe straight lines into the plexiglass until there is a deep rut. Put that line over the edge of a table, scratch upward and the side you will keep over the table, and hold flat the plexiglass. A book works well. Then push quickly downward the hanging end. It should snap cleanly along the line. Do this for all sides then clean up edges with sandpaper around a long flat stick. Should look something like this when done.

20190207_162632(1).jpg

I should have mentioned using a metal straight edge when scratching or rather scoring the sheet. Slow and patiently is the best way. Minor scratches can be buffed out. The beauty of thick plastic. You could also put tape along the edge to protect from stray cuts...

The adhesive I use for plexiglass is this...
20190217_124219(1).jpg

Apparently acetone based adhesives work really well.

Once the top is done, check fit and maybe mark it so that it will be clocked right when it gets glued on.

Finished adding the ground crew and used small solder wire for the fuel hose. Once all items were added in, I did a quick check to ensure there were no stray marks inside before closing it up.

Put on the lid and wicked the glue in leaving no spills down the side. Glue makes a nice bond.
Here is the final product.
20190217_123011(1).jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back