1/48 Grumman Goose Mk III, Czech Models kit finished as an RCAF Goose .

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Colin L

Airman
Nov 27, 2016
This is Czech Models 1/48 limited edition Grumman Goose JRF kit finished as an RCAF Goose Mk III.
Grumman Goose 941 was flown by No. 13 Operational Training Squadron based at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia. Prior to military service the aircraft was on the Canadian civil aircraft registry as CF-BQE.

It was built with a full interior (which can't be seen), Vector resin engines, and my resin copies of highly modified kit props (11 brass, aluminum, and plastic parts in each prop!). Trailing edges thinned a lot, many details, panel lines, extra vents rescribed or added, trim tab and aileron actuators added, nav lights carved from colored bingo chips, and stretched sprue. Float rigging with .010" Phosphor-Bronze wire into predrilled holes.
Painted with Tamiya acrylics, weather with oils and pastels. Some kit decals used, wing roundels, and tail flash masked and painted.
All and all, a fun kit. hope you like.
Colin

Attachments

• complete 1.jpg
    complete 1.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 36
  • complete 2.jpg
    complete 2.jpg
    143.1 KB · Views: 38
  • complete 3.jpg
    complete 3.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 34
  • complete 5.jpg
    complete 5.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 32
  • complete 6.jpg
    complete 6.jpg
    125.4 KB · Views: 32
  • complete 7.jpg
    complete 7.jpg
    172.9 KB · Views: 38
  • complete 14.jpg
    complete 14.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 32
  • complete 9.jpg
    complete 9.jpg
    171 KB · Views: 32
  • complete 12.jpg
    complete 12.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 35
  • complete 13.jpg
    complete 13.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 32
  • P2032982.JPG
    P2032982.JPG
    899.4 KB · Views: 44
  • Image17.jpg
    Image17.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 38
This is Czech Models 1/48 limited edition Grumman Goose JRF kit finished as an RCAF Goose Mk III.
Grumman Goose 941 was flown by No. 13 Operational Training Squadron based at RCAF Station Sea Island, British Columbia. Prior to military service the aircraft was on the Canadian civil aircraft registry as CF-BQE.

It was built with a full interior (which can't be seen), Vector resin engines, and my resin copies of highly modified kit props (11 brass, aluminum, and plastic parts in each prop!). Trailing edges thinned a lot, many details, panel lines, extra vents rescribed or added, trim tab and aileron actuators added, nav lights carved from colored bingo chips, and stretched sprue. Float rigging with .010" Phosphor-Bronze wire into predrilled holes.
Painted with Tamiya acrylics, weather with oils and pastels. Some kit decals used, wing roundels, and tail flash masked and painted.
All and all, a fun kit. hope you like.
Colin
That's just beautiful. Well done, Sir.

Very nice work there. It's a shame that interior can't be seen.
I built the Lindberg kit for group build 22 and that Czeck Models kit looks like it's about 20 steps above it!

Beautifully done, but like I said, doing the interior was a waste of time. N.B., The interior was a darker green, I could have told if you'd asked. (I just noticed you added the spray rails to the bow, very nicely done, but those a post war addition. I know it seems I'm nit picking here, I'm not. I'm just pointing out things that the NEXT guy to build one needs to look out for. You did a beautiful job a tough kit, I give it a 9.9 and a BZ !)
As for c/n 1061, it was originally sold to John Bickell of Toronto, Canada as CF-BQE who then donated it to the RCAF. After being released from the RCAF in Jan., 1945, it was sold to Charles H. Babb in the US as NC48550. That changed in 1947/48 to just N48550. It was briefly sold to an owner in Alaska before going to Alaska Coastal Airlines out of Juneau, Alaska later in 1945, where it was flown for many years, part of the time as a straight flying boat without landing gear. Later it became part of the combined fleet of Alaska Coastal-Ellis then to Alaska Airlines. It then went to Antilles Air Boats in the US Virgin Island until the early 1980s. Finally it was sold to a private owner in Oregon who flew it from 1988 until selling it to one Parrothead named Buffet in 1996. It than went into the shop for a much needed major restoration/rebuild and that's where the trouble started .... it sat for years and was never finished while they squabbled about who was supposed to do what and how much it was supposed to cost. Finally it was donated to the USS Alabama Museum a little less than a year ago and just rolled into the main display hangar after a pretty complete cosmetic rebuild earlier this month (4-23) as 941 complete in it's original RCAF colors (that I provided).
! RCAF Goose 941 USS Alabama Museum  1079x1079.jpg
! RCAF Goose 941 USS Alabama Museum  1365x1365.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful restoration!
It seems to be following the colors and markings provided by Czech Models.
I'm not sure where Czech Models got the red 'B' code, 941 sported a black 'N' code, black wheel wells, and the camo scalloped lower on the nacelles.

Attachments

• 60fabd47f5b058d9bd180cea_a064702-v8.jpeg
    60fabd47f5b058d9bd180cea_a064702-v8.jpeg
    47.9 KB · Views: 12
  • 60f818220ac6ef6ece4bf6ac_Grumman-Goose--RCAF--Serial-No--941---15-Jul-1943---MIKAN-No--3589797.jpeg
    60f818220ac6ef6ece4bf6ac_Grumman-Goose--RCAF--Serial-No--941---15-Jul-1943---MIKAN-No--3589797.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 12
Beautiful restoration!
It seems to be following the colors and markings provided by Czech Models.
I'm not sure where Czech Models got the red 'B' code, 941 sported a black 'N' code, black wheel wells, and the camo scalloped lower on the nacelles.
941 served in 3 diff. Squadrons, I can confirm it had at least 2 codes, Black N and before that it was AN-J, so Red B is possible. I worked with the owner of Classic Airframes in the past and I know for a fact he was a stickler for accuracy in markings. I provided almost all the information for the CA J4F-1/2 Widgeon kit inc. markings, I still have the folder with all the drawings, photos etc.. I know he was tinkering with the Goose idea when he closed the company, we had talked about it, he was waiting for a return on the investment on the Widgeon first. I have a hunch he turned over all he had on it to the mold makers we had been dealing with in the Czech Republic when he closed shop.

Good to know, I was only able to find 2 photos of 941, and that's what I based my finish on. It's crazy to think that she has had 80+ years to evolve and has had many different looks. She sure looks good, now!
What you said about Classic Airframes possibly being the genesis for the Czech kit explains a lot. It had the look and feel of a Classic Airframes kit.
I have a couple of Widgeon kits on the 'to do' pile, and will be using the CA markings on one.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back