P51D wing colour

Ad: This forum contains affiliate links to products on Amazon and eBay. More information in Terms and rules

Alex48

Recruit
Oct 14, 2008
Hi Guys

Can anyone help with what silver colour the wings of the Mustang during the war were painted? Some threads have suggested it was FS17178 is there any documentary evidence of this?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Alex

According to my infos the natural metal finish Mustangs began to appear with the 770th P-51B and 201st P-51C.The kind of finishing become standard for all Mustangs.But there is a little known fact that these natural metal P-51s weren't all natural metal.The entire upper and lower surfaces of the wings from root to wingtip ( except flaps and ailerons) were painted firstly with chromate yellow primer and then the gloss silver (aluminium) paint was applied and it was FS17178.

thanks Wurger

Where would I find the original information about this from?

It's not that I don't trust you but I need some evidence that this was infact the case. It's for the documentation of a model I've built that will be entered into competition, the judges are rather fussy about proof of colours

Thanks for your help

Alex

Hi, Alex. Wurger is correct. Also, to maintain the laminar flow effect over the wing, the first part of the mainplane, I believe up to the main spar, was coated in a special 'putty'-like substance, which was buffed and polished. The 'aluminium' finish, which was a laquer-type coating, was then applied and this, in turn, was highly polished. Close examination of period photographs, particularly colour close-up shots, show the distinction in 'texture' quite clearly. I have an article published in a modelling magazine from the '70's, that describes the finish, including the colours (and their construction) used for the interior, and particularly the wheel bays, an area that many modellers STILL get wrong! If you are not in a mad rush, I'll dig it out but, I don't think the text will show up very well on a post, as the pages of the mag are getting old (like me!), so, if it's of interest, I might have to copy it and mail it to you. Hope this is useful.
Terry.

Thanks Terry that would be good, I'm in no great hurry, I will PM you my address.

Thanks again

Alex

Thanks Antoni, Just what I was looking for!!

Thanks for all your help guys, great forum, glad I stumbled across it!

Cheers, Alex

Brilliant stuff, Antoni! It's more detailed than the refs I have, and extremely useful.
Alex, if you still need the info on the rest of the airframe (internals), just give me a shout.
Terry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back